Bag rig for a DEVA 5.8/V?

Phil Palmer

Sorry for the rather beat up subject, but...

I've changed my run rig from a 442/744T combo to a DEVA and I need to change bags.  The PEGZ1 I was using for the previous set up doesn't work with the DEVA.  The side ports on the PEGZ1 don't allow enough access for the DEVA battery or connectors, just too small. 

What are you folks using when in a bag config with a DEVA and multiple wires?  Thanks.

Hi Phil,

I've never been a fan of Portabrace before, but the AO-4 is perfect for the Deva.  Much better than the Petrol options.  I use it for a Fusion, but it would easily accommodate the added height of a 5.8 and still have room for 8 411A's in the same bag (no add-on pouch).  I only had to make a slight mod for the lemo TC port so it wouldn't get torqued.

PG

That's the rig I have now.  Don't like how the wires sag the RM/Multi pouch.  I'm looking for a better design.

Currently I run 1 x DEVA, 4 x UCR411a's, 1 x Comtek M216, 1 x Ambient Lockit, 1 Remote Audio BDS with an NP1.  Not too bad, but I liked the way the Petrol PEGZ1 felt with the 442/744T rig.  So I'm fishing around...

Hi Phil,

I've never been a fan of Portabrace before, but the AO-4 is perfect for the Deva.  Much better than the Petrol options.  I use it for a Fusion, but it would easily accommodate the added height of a 5.8 and still have room for 8 411A's in the same bag (no add-on pouch).  I only had to make a slight mod for the lemo TC port so it wouldn't get torqued.

PG

Mind if I ask why the portabrace is better than the Petrol? Is there adequate room for all of the cables to go in and out? I found many bags end up putting an uncomfortable amount of pressure on, at least, a headphone jack.

For my 442 I switched to a PEGZ-1 from a worn out Portabrace AO and felt like the PEGZ was just designed better for sound gear.

The portabrace bags with add on bags for wireless mics always seem unstable to me too. I've used them for real running and gunning ENG mix to camera work and we had to zip tie them to hold them in place. I have one on my PD-6 case and have to secure it with extra straps. I realize the AO is a single bag, but so is the Petrol.

Mind if I ask why the portabrace is better than the Petrol? Is there adequate room for all of the cables to go in and out? I found many bags end up putting an uncomfortable amount of pressure on, at least, a headphone jack.

For my 442 I switched to a PEGZ-1 from a worn out Portabrace AO and felt like the PEGZ was just designed better for sound gear.

The portabrace bags with add on bags for wireless mics always seem unstable to me too. I've used them for real running and gunning ENG mix to camera work and we had to zip tie them to hold them in place. I have one on my PD-6 case and have to secure it with extra straps. I realize the AO is a single bag, but so is the Petrol.

Feel a bit bizarre justifying my suggestion (and not to the OP), but I'll bite, briefly.  My 442 (and sometimes 702t) are in Petrol PEGZ-1, my 302 (and sometimes two of them) is/are in a Petrol bag for that mixer, my Fusion 12 is in the Portabrace AO-4.  In my OPINION, after placing my actual Fusion in a PEGZ-2 and PEGZ-3 at the store, the Portabrace bag was a much better choice.  No zip ties, no separate RF bag (that's why the other rigs are in Petrol), and plenty of room for routing audio and DC power cables.  

OP asked, "What are you folks using when in a bag config with a DEVA and multiple wires?"

and since I have that rig and had tried a few, I gave my opinion.

PG

P.S.  In my SD rigs I now use right angle adapters for headphone jacks.  I've sent in two 302's in the past to have those jacks replaced and this helps them not get "jacked".

I can now confirm that the AO4 is the right bag for the job.  I loaded it this evening and it's just like I remembered.

This was the bag I originally used for a series some years ago.  I had it tucked away in the garage and forgot about it.  PG jogged my memory and I dug it out.  Works great.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Phil,

I'm using the Portabrace bag designed for the Deva and the RM/Multi-D add on pouch. How many wires are you going to use?

RL

I couldn't find the PortaBrace Deva bag on their website. Does anybody know the model number? I would like to get a bag just for the recorder and the RM pouch for the receivers...

Thanks,

Gabi

Hi,

I am very happy with my custom made Kortwich bag.

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22234559@N02/

For more info about the manufacturer: www.filmtontechnik.de

I might even be interested in selling shown bag.

Best from Berlin

Patrick

The rain cover that can be seen in P1030578 is fantastic. Covers the entire bag. 

• 3 months later...

I recently gave a link to this thread to another mixer, so I thought I'd post this picture to make it more useful. This is the Portabrace AO-4 loaded to its backbreaking maximum. Not recommended for solo, over-the-shoulder use, but it gives some idea of size and capacity. This is NOT a modular, floppy, gotta-zip-tie-it-together-to-make-it-work Portabrace system. This is a single bag with dividers (if you want to use them) and an accessory pouch in the front. It is what it is, I just thought this picture would improve the thread as an archive (from before I started divesting myself of good ol' Block 28).

Paul

IMG_2117.jpg

I recently gave a link to this thread to another mixer, so I thought I'd post this picture to make it more useful. This is the Portabrace AO-4 loaded to its backbreaking maximum. Not recommended for solo, over-the-shoulder use, but it gives some idea of size and capacity. This is NOT a modular, floppy, gotta-zip-tie-it-together-to-make-it-work Portabrace system. This is a single bag with dividers (if you want to use them) and an accessory pouch in the front. It is what it is, I just thought this picture would improve the thread as an archive (from before I started divesting myself of good ol' Block 28).

Paul

IMG_2117.jpg

That is a nightmare rig.  If I were the size of an NFL linebacker, maybe, but me, at my age....nope.  Are you really carrying this all day?  (Hombre!)

Philip Perkins

Whoa...I actually didn't intend to resurrect this thread; just to better illustrate the dimensions of the bag. No, I do not carry this bag all day. (I might be manly, but not a masochist!) This would be a portable multi-track rig and any booming would be done boom ops. More like a very portable cart for a table read or panel discussion situation. And John, there's another NP-L7s on the right side for the receivers, so maybe 3 hours?

I over-the-shoulder solo with up to six wires or so, but by that point it is usually all wires with very occasional booming; so the carrying is minimal. I think only very light booming is practical when the rig gets over 5 wireless, and then it is more multi-tracking than mixing. For mixing the bag is on a cart with a Mix-8, Comtek to a Hi-Gain, wires go to distro if needed, and IFB PL is rigged with those extra inputs and outputs.

When carrying gear the rig should be as small as possible for the job (in order to preserve the life and limb of the mixer!). I have 302, 442, 702t.  In all honesty, tho', I usually use the Fusion....just not all those receivers!

Paul Graff