Lectrosonics IR Sync Protocol

jawharp

Afaik most IR remote applications are "digital"/binary on/off blinking, i.e. pulsed signals, not different "colors". Dweddle tones are... well sequences of different tones. 

What are you trying to do?

Sidenote: lirc may be worth a look for capturing/reproducing IR stuff. There are also some Ardurino projects.

A couple years ago I made a small bluetooth audio receiver that went between a lav mic and the transmitter with a passthru for the mic.  When the BT receiver was sent a dweedle tone, it would mute the mic and play the dweedle into the transmitter so the settings could be changed remotely without having to play the dweedles into the mic.  

My low level analog audio circuitry skills are in a word "terrible," so to bypass having to mess with the mic signal, I was wondering if I could make another version that would mount over the IR receiver.  That way I could change the settings remotely, and also save anyone on headphones from having to hear the dweedle tones.

I was thinking ultimately the whole thing could be rechargable and be mounted in a specialized beltclip you could screw onto the unit.

Sounds like quite a bit of engeneering and programming effort.

Wisycom's protocol is bidirectional, in the way that you see a success report on the RX, e.g. when syncing frequencies. I'd guess this is also true for various Lectro families. 

If you only need it unidirectional it might simplify things.

There is quite some stuff out there for relaying unidirectional IR signals for home electronics via IP or BT. Most of it is too big to put it on actors, though something like the raspberry zero w might do the trick but is still bigger than an audio BT box these days.

• 2 weeks later...

@jawharp, the IR sync format is not the same as the audio dweedle tones.  However, it is a fairly simple protocol that uses a standard 38kHz IR frequency and modulates it with 300 baud asynchronous serial data. Unidirectional only.  Yes, Raspberry Pi GPIO has enough current drive capability to supply an IR LED.