Troubleshooting : DPA 4018 is not seating on brand new MMP-A preamp

Paul Garafola

My 4018 cap screws on easily & perfectly to my MMP-B and MMP-C pre-amps - and here's where it's giving me resistance on the MMP-A. (see photos)

In this moment, I do not want to take the chance on giving it more force, in order for it to seat as it should.  I don't want to make the problem worse.

If you've had this occur, is it an actual problem - or will it seat perfectly if I continue turning it past the resistance?  Did yours?

If you'd had this exact situation occur, what was the solution?

Thanks for your help.

- Paul

4018 cap is not seating on BRAND NEW MMP-A.jpg

Hi Roderick,

Yeah, I cleared and cleaned the threads on the MMP-A and still no progress. 

I would try the lubricant, but I really think the primary and only issue is a faulty thread.

So you've had this exact issue and the lubricant actually worked - and the capsule then attached easily??

(Yeah, if there's not a solid solution that people have succeeded with, then I'll just send it back for a warranty replacement.  But obviously, I'd like to not have to do that.)

Thanks for your reply.

- Paul -

• 1 year later...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:25 AM, Paul Garafola said:

Hi Roderick,

Yeah, I cleared and cleaned the threads on the MMP-A and still no progress. 

I would try the lubricant, but I really think the primary and only issue is a faulty thread.

So you've had this exact issue and the lubricant actually worked - and the capsule then attached easily??

(Yeah, if there's not a solid solution that people have succeeded with, then I'll just send it back for a warranty replacement.  But obviously, I'd like to not have to do that.)

Thanks for your reply.

- Paul -

Hi Paul.....did you sort out the problem?

59 minutes ago, Paul Garafola said:

Hi Dermot,

Yes - this problem was sorted out.  I didn't want to force it, so I sent it back to DPA as a defective thread.

They fixed it and now the MMP-A seats perfectly on the 4017 (and the 4018 before I sold it).  No issues at all now.

Have a great day,

Paul, NYC

That makes sense.....cross threading is a bummer if that happens......you have a great day too,

Thanks

Dermot.