Transcode 32bit six channel audio with timecode to 24bit with limiter applied (zoom f6)

Sound

I would like to record audio on the zoom f6 using 32 bit audio, but we have to edit in avid later, which doesnt support 32bit natively.

Avid Media Composer can link to 32bit files but when you consolidate or transcode you need to transcode to 24 bit.

I was hoping I could dual record 24 and 32 bit in the zoom f6 and have 32bit as a backup which is possible BUT then there is no limiter available for 24 bit.

So I was thinking: is it possible to record in 32 bit and find a reliable way to transcode the files to 24 bit later on?

We are syncing audio and video via timecode using tentacle sync studio.

Whatever you need, I can make it, but  WHY?

You talk about 'normalize' and 'limit' as if it's the same thing. It's not.

I will never burn my fingers on compression settings, not my cup of tea.
'Normalizing' a 32 bit file so no data gets clipped when creating a 24 bits file is something I could do.

But, doesn't the Zoom have a bit of a limiter, and would recording 24 bits (Perhaps some 9 dB too conservative) not do the job?

And, really, you bring a zoom f6 to a gunfight?
And you think there is a noticeable difference between 24 and 32 bits recordings?
Again, I can make whatever you want, but I think you've got bigger fish to fry.

Bouke

Maybe you are right. Zoom has a limiter when you only record in 24 Bit. So I will experiment on that. I thought it would be easy with any simple audio editor. Normalization is another option. It depends on the way you record audio. If you record single files normalization makes no sense as lav mic channels where no one is speaking will be boosted massively. Then I would use a limiter on those files. But if you record the whole day in one single audio file I could normalize before syncing the file to the individual audio clips. I thought this could be possible in any simple audio editor. But I am not sure which one keeps the Timecode on export. Or I have to dial in the Timecode manually after that again.

Adobe Audition used to be really good at this. Maybe it still is, I haven’t used it in a long time. 
It had a very nice batch processor where you could combine any number of processes (like convert bit depth, then normalize, etc.) into one batch operation. I don’t know if it kept metadata though. So that might be an option. 
However, Bouke is right of course, with everything he said, and if he tailors software to your needs, that would be even better

14 hours ago, Bouke said:

Whatever you need, I can make it, but  WHY?

You talk about 'normalize' and 'limit' as if it's the same thing. It's not.

I will never burn my fingers on compression settings, not my cup of tea.
'Normalizing' a 32 bit file so no data gets clipped when creating a 24 bits file is something I could do.

But, doesn't the Zoom have a bit of a limiter, and would recording 24 bits (Perhaps some 9 dB too conservative) not do the job?

And, really, you bring a zoom f6 to a gunfight?
And you think there is a noticeable difference between 24 and 32 bits recordings?
Again, I can make whatever you want, but I think you've got bigger fish to fry.

Bouke

F6 is a useful recorder to have around. It would be nice to have a streamlined workflow for the 32 bit files that gave the client/situation the benefit without a laborious workflow.