boom recorder files and folders

Ramsay

I've started testing boom recorder and we are trying to import the files into Avid. For some reason it can imprt one file but cannot put all 8 together. I have set the boom recorder up to create 8 files and 1 folder. Is there a "standard" method of setup. I've got a mono mix one 1 and then split out radios on the other 7. I must say, I'm a late adopter of the non linear format. I've been waiting for a year and a half for the 8 track internal recorder for my Sonosax ST8D and I'm starting to wonder if it will ever happen. In the meantime I'm trying not to spend too much on another system. Many Thanks, Patrick

Thanks Scott. I've emailed Take. And on a side note, Kudo's to Jeff yourself and all the posters on this site. I've been a mixer for many years and still remember the Post Supervisor at Cannell Films calling me with specific instructions NOT to split tracks."One track only, there's no time to deal with two". My how times have changed....And thanks to Darren Brisker for his knowledge about Metaflow

I believe you are experiencing AVID's inability to import monophonic multi track files.

You probably need to interleave the multitracks into one polyphonic interleaved multitrack and it should import, I think.

If you have access to a PC laptop, there is BWF-O-Matic on BWFWidget, which can do this with your BWF files, and hopefully leave the originals intact.

If you are using a separate HD in FAT32 format,this is possible, I think.

I don't know what is available for MAC's.

Regards,

jim Rillie

Or maybe Boom recorder has a setting for Polyphonic files. (even numbers of tracks only, so you may have to record a blank track). I have also heard rumours of some version of AVid? that will only see 2, 4 or 8 track poly files, but not 6 track.. Is this true?

Someone with more experience on this side may step in here before I put my foot in my mouth....

Regards,

Jim Rillie

I have also heard rumours of some version of AVid? that will only see 2, 4 or 8 track poly files, but not 6 track.. Is this true?

Someone with more experience on this side may step in here before I put my foot in my mouth....

Regards,

Jim Rillie

Not rumours at all --- all of the older Avids had a problem with ANY odd number track COUNT. In other words, a poly file that was 2 tracks wide is okay but one that is 3 tracks wide, 5 tracks wide, 7 tracks wide, etc. was a problem. The only exception was that a poly file that is only 1 track wide seemed to work okay (I think the Avid just treats this as a so-called "dual mono" track). I had to record BLANK tracks at times on one job so that editorial could even access the file --- the Avid refuses to even recognize the file if it contains an odd track count.

-  Jeff Wexler

your welcome

also I do believe some Avid setups or maybe just Protools doesnt like multiple tracks

OK, I must be mis-reading this somehow. I've been able to pull in 4 track Poly files into ProTools 6.4 and up, and we did a test of 4 track Poly-phonic audio files in Avid. Everything seemed to work. Unless that is not what you meant?

OK, I must be mis-reading this somehow. I've been able to pull in 4 track Poly files into ProTools 6.4 and up, and we did a test of 4 track Poly-phonic audio files in Avid. Everything seemed to work. Unless that is not what you meant?

I think what was being referred to is that older Avids will not recognize a Poly file that is comprised of THREE (3) tracks (and also, any poly file that has an odd track count number, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc.). A 4 track poly file will work.

-  JW

I think what was being referred to is that older Avids will not recognize a Poly file that is comprised of THREE (3) tracks (and also, any poly file that has an odd track count number, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc.). A 4 track poly file will work.

-  JW

This has been my experience as well: 1, 2, 4, 6 or 8 only.  I've made a lot of 4 track polys w/ track 4 empty....

Philip Perkins

I know this is completely off topic, and that the original reference was to "older" software, but for what it's worth, I just pulled in a 3 track poly file into PT 7.1. Now, it did have to convert the original poly file into mono files, but it still grouped it as one poly file in the audio bin.

Let me be specific here also, it is ProTools LE 7.1, from a 744T, not boom recorder.

That's good news, but my issue w/ polys has to do with upload to picture editing systems.  I thought I'd heard that Avid

had fixed the "odd-track number" problem in some version, but there are so many Avid software/hardware combos out there

in daily use that I'm sticking w/ the "even-only" poly method for now.  Meanwhile....Apple: dudes, love the iPod, love the MacBook, but FCP REALLY needs to be able to take in BWFs w/ their time stamp directly.  Please.

Philip Perkins

My 8 track mono files seem to be importing into pro tools fine, and as we're just about to finish this movie I'm going to use my prep. time on the next one to "lock in" a delivery which works for editing and audio post. My biggest wish is for a Mac programme which can view/change Metadata after the tracks are recorded. Have I missed a thread somewhere where this is discussed? I've read about BWF widget, but I don't think it will do all of this. BTW, I've had 7 radios and three cameras (and new dialogue, overlaps and ad libs) to deal with on many of our shots this past month and having Boom Recorder (even with the occasional missed ID has probably saved some lines from being looped. We strive for that perfect mix for dailes, but things are just getting a little crazy out there!

Ramsey,

The latest version of BWF-Widget Pro allows you to not only edit Metadata, but it comes with BWF-O-Matic (when you purchase registration). BWF-O-Matic can Join or interleave the Mono files into a Poly. and you can choose which tracks to join and in a different order than how they were recorded.  So you could pull in just the Iso tracks into an even numbered Poly file.  BWF-O-Matic allows you to add blank tracks if you need to maintain even track counts for older Avids. Time code it maintained as is any proprietary chunks from the Boomrecorder files.

Read more about it here: 

http://www.bwfwidget.com/html/bwf-o-matic.html

It is Windows only so if you want to run it on a MAC you need some virtual PC version and Windows installed.

Or Boot Camp if you are on an Intel based Mac.

---Courtney