Waterproof slate case / bag?

Izen Ears

Some years ago I remember seeing a VERY fancy waterproof slate case.  It was clear hard plastic that enclosed the entire slate, with a hinged top part for clapping.  It was *awesome* - it floated!  Never had to be opened other than to jam, power, or swap batts.  It was made in the size of a Denecke TS-3.

It was also like $500 or something crazy.  Obvs I didn’t even have a Deva at the time so there was no way I could afford it.  Now I can and it’a gone.  It must have been a tiny company that wasn’t able to keep making them?

So, what does everyone do to protect those things from water?!!  I’ve got these $50 bags for slates, but they open and wet hands will make them wet.  They suck and the ACs hate em.

Dan Izen

This is so wild! It’s like the Twilight Zone - I know I saw a photo of a slate floating in the ocean!!

Considering just how insanely sensitive to water those things are, I’m incredulous to see zero options for true protection.  

Hey Denecke!  Make some waterproof bags!

On 2/6/2022 at 2:28 PM, syncsound said:

Gotcha. My only experience has been with rain protection, essential here in the PNW.

What product do you use?  

while this isn’t what you describe seeing years ago …I did find these two options(links below) …not sure if any of these would work. Honestly though…how much water is too much…I would think simply covering the battery slider door (Denecke TS-c) with some water proof tape and just putting it back into the cordura bag it comes with would keep it pretty dry in most rain/snow/ storm conditions. Or are we talking it needs to withstand “floating in the ocean”? 

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/mto-slateslicker/

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/slate-rain-cover?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIst2uq-f19QIVmsizCh3FuQNyEAQYAiABEgIjm_D_BwE

2 hours ago, EnotsMedia said:

while this isn’t what you describe seeing years ago …I did find these two options(links below) …not sure if any of these would work. Honestly though…how much water is too much…I would think simply covering the battery slider door (Denecke TS-c) with some water proof tape and just putting it back into the cordura bag it comes with would keep it pretty dry in most rain/snow/ storm conditions. Or are we talking it needs to withstand “floating in the ocean”? 

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/mto-slateslicker/

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/slate-rain-cover?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIst2uq-f19QIVmsizCh3FuQNyEAQYAiABEgIjm_D_BwE

Hey thanks for the links!  I’m 

Those Slate Slickers are what I’ve got now, but in a downpour the slates still get totally wet.  In fact those things are just a bad design because one must reach into the bag to write on it, which brings in water every time.  (Yes that’s a run-on sentence!)  

I’m 100% convinced that the battery door is not the only way for water to get in.  I’ve had a slate get a spray of water, so, no drops dripping anywhere just a decent misting, and the slate broke.

The Ambient product looks cool but a) does it only fit Ambient slates; and b) how does it work?  That photo shows no indication of how to operate the slates in that bag.

Dan Izen

On 2/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, Izen Ears said:

This is so wild! It’s like the Twilight Zone - I know I saw a photo of a slate floating in the ocean!!

Considering just how insanely sensitive to water those things are, I’m incredulous to see zero options for true protection.  

Hey Denecke!  Make some waterproof bags!

What product do you use?  

Mostly just big Ziplocs. The ACs hold them horizontally, so their wrist fits into the opening to clap the sticks.

If it's truly that wet I'd dedicate a housed phone and use Timebar with a Tentacle and forgo the ID aspect of writing on the slate. The numbers for sync will be there. Post as well as script/AC/mixer can name takes etc via other means. If you have a VTR person ti makes things even easier.

On 2/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, S Harber said:

If it's truly that wet I'd dedicate a housed phone and use Timebar with a Tentacle and forgo the ID aspect of writing on the slate. The numbers for sync will be there. Post as well as script/AC/mixer can name takes etc via other means. If you have a VTR person ti makes things even easier.

I love your “outside the box” thinking!  Sadly I cannot see ACs using their own phones in the rain, and I don’t feel like getting extra phones for this.  It’s a great idea for projects with a small crew with few cameras.  I’d also guess that post would require scene numbers and letters so that would be two things they’d have to hold up.

I really just want a waterproof slate case dammit!  

I’m going to guess that whoever made those cases that I saw refused to license their creation, and held out selling the patent for the big bucks that never came.