Pilot not picked up.....

pshap

So I supervised a reality pilot about two months ago using two very talented ENG mixers to help me... Fernando Muga and Tim Brown lll. Three crews in all, Los Angeles based, including me. Tim and Fernando did an excellent job of audio mixing and I highly recommend them if anyone is looking for mixers. I just got the word on Friday that the show did not get picked up because 20 other pilots were in the bidding as well for the upcoming season.... I was told that I can get a copy of the pilot if I wanted and that audio and video were captured perfectly. It seems that the theme of the show just did not fit the mix of what the client was looking for.... Dang....

Oh well. We freelancers never really know what or where we will end up capturing professional audio until we are completed with the project and driving home.... I have so many shows/interviews under my belt and still I feel a sadness about this one loss..... Onward and upwards..... Cheers to all my fellow soundies out there. Lets enjoy ever minute that we get to serve our craft.... -pshap

I'm sorry it missed for you, Paul. It's a very uncertain business.

It is nice that the producers are offering to provide you with a copy of the work. It's pretty infrequent that a producer might ask to hear a sample of your work but it never hurts to have one available. Simply offering to provide a sample someone might screen can be an indication of confidence in your abilities. (It could also be an indication of desperation so be circumspect how you offer.)

I think the offer of a copy indicates that your work was well valued and appreciated. In the long term, you may have other opportunities with these people.

David Waelder

Sorry to hear that Paul...  In my case the show did got picked up & the first two episodes wrapped shooting last week. Only problem, after producers put me on hold for a 3 week shoot, they decided to fly in a Sound Mixer from LA. I'm still shocked at the fact that they promised to hire me and then decided to dump me at the last minute.... Oh well.

Sorry to hear that Paul...  In my case the show did got picked up & the first two episodes wrapped shooting last week. Only problem, after producers put me on hold for a 3 week shoot, they decided to fly in a Sound Mixer from LA. I'm still shocked at the fact that they promised to hire me and then decided to dump me at the last minute.... Oh well.

Sorry to hear about that. Did they give you any reason for replacing you? I assume you live in the area of the project so you're a local with no housing expense for production to cover plus the rt airfare or perdiem.

Eric

Hey Eric,

The pilot was shot within 8 hours from where I live, so production covered lodging, perdiem & transportation for the 6 day of shooting. Also when the producer called to book me for the first season she mentioned that the locations were still TBD and that that wouldn't be an issue since they "loved" my work...  Dunno what happened there, maybe the DP had a sound buddy? who knows. All I was told was "you can go ahead & start taking jobs"  

" I'm still shocked at the fact that they promised to hire me and then decided to dump me at the last minute.. "

why shocked?? because they waited until the last minute?? even that part of it isn't that unusual...

As I was originally going to comment to Paul:

first question: what do you mean by pilot?? the 'real' pilots are the ones ordered and paid for, usually by the network that is considering the show. of course the production values will vary widly, depending on the network involved.  If someone has a brilliant idea for a show, and sets out to do their own "pilot" (really a 'spec production') to pitch the project, then it is quite different.  let's say that you have worked on the rare spec that some network actually bought; first thing that happens is the buyer becomes involved in the production of the actual show, and that usually means that since they are now providing the $$$, and setting the production values, they will have their people get heavily involved in the production and all of its aspects. and keep in mind this stuff, and the actual budgets, vary widly depending on the network involved. Thus the UPM that the network may insist on will bring along a bunch of "baggage".  sometimes it is just "well now we can afford people we couldn't afford before"  There are lots of variations, and this also happens in the movie  business.

There was a Kevin Bacon movie some years back, about a movie student who gets a big studio gig, and of course the studio is not bound by all of his promises to bring his friends along when he becomes a success...

" production covered lodging, per diem & transportation for the 6 day of shooting."

thus pretty much eliminating any 'local hire' advantage...

it is really pretty cruel out there!!