AES Input @ 48.048 khz Question.

Michael Wynne

Hi Everyone,

I have what I hope is a simple technical question I was hoping to get assistance with.   If I have a recorder in particular a Cantar mini running at 48.048khz sampling rate ( pull up work flow request ) and I have a mic pre amp with an AES output connected that does not have the pull up setting @ only 48khz ( i.e. Sonosax M2D2 ) are there any drawbacks to the AES signal.     I'm hoping & assuming the M2D2 is receiving clock from the X3 by default via the AES signal, therefore the clock is resolved to 48.048khz and is therefore a non issue,  or perhaps I'm missing something.

No, the Cantar Mini could clock itself to the preamp, presumably if it has that setting, but the preamp cannot clock itself to the Cantar. AES3 is a one way format. If the Sonosax has a AES input you could use that to lock it to the AES output of the Cantar, but otherwise they won’t sync. 
However, the Cantar will simply re-sample the signal and you probably won’t even notice it.

With Zaxcom it’s the same situation, the clocks won’t match and so the signal will be re-sampled