Getting a second shotgun mic

pillepalle

As time goes by I'm building up my microphone selection and I was thinking about getting a second shotgun mic. Mainly for two reasons. On the one hand to have an alternative to my current one (an MKH8060) with which I'm very happy. And on the other hand to be able to swing a second boom mic, if necessary. But if you swing 2 mics it would be nicer if they match (no EQing necessary). So getting a second identical mic could probably be the better choice. But then I won't have an alternative, in cases my current one doesn't work so well :) So baisically, I think I will go with a different one. Simply because swinging two boom mics will happen rarely.

But just for curiosity, how you approach the topic? Do you prefer to get different ones and don't care about matching, or you stay with one brand/mic type to have a consistent sound? 

Greetings

Having pairs is really great for recording face to face interviews if you happen to do a lot of those. I record quite a lot of three way conversations too, and usually I'll have my pair of Sankens on two subjects, and a CMIT on the opposite subject. However if you want say a shorter, and a longer shogun then I would stick within the same brand/product line. That being said having a Schoeps 41, and a Sennheiser 416 is a very classic combo. Those microphones really sound nothing like each other. 

Before I got my second 8060 I used a 416 as a second boom and outside or on a stage they cut together together pretty well. But in a crappy sounding room... not so much. I already had a 416 so it was logical to use them that way for a while. If you've made the decision on buying a second mike and like the sound, performance, and characteristics of it I would probably just get a 2nd one.