833 and +4 plugin

henrimic

Hi everyone,

I will work soon on a reality style show and hesitate between the 888 and 833 with the new +4 plugin. The production ask for 8 lavs plus a boom and the shooting will be very mobile.

At the first, I thought the 888 was the only way to go and the best compromise between size, weight  and channels count.

But with 8 lavs, I can't imagine really mixing with the faders while holding the boom, knowing that post will work with the iso channels.

So I thought that I could make two groups of Lav controlled by Dungan and just control the master level of these groups and the boom, so three real faders are enough.

The price, weight, size, consumptions difference make me think that the 833 with the plugin and SL2 , will do the job ?

Do you guys who worked on such shows any thoughts about this way of doing ?

Thx

What wireless you running?  The SL2 with 2x4 Channel receivers like the new Wisycom would make a tight package.

Dugan will be your saving grace on this one.  Set the gain right and let the automix do its thing.  If they give you flak for not having a proper mix for 8 lavs while also swinging boom, tell them to pound sand.

Indeed, I am using the Wisy’s MCR54.

The goal is certainly not to have a perfect mix, just a guide for editing before a proper audio post.

My question was more about the added value of an 888 compared to an 833 with this +4 plugin. 
I know it’s pretty new, but if someone has already tried it, any experience will be valuable. 

Since you already have MCR54's and you're going to be bagging it, I'd go for the 833 + SL2 + "+4 Plugin".  Keep that weight down as much as possible and given you don't really have a need for Dante given the 8 channels going directly in via the SL2.  I'd only splurge on the 888 if you think you're going to move over to a Dante based workflow.

13 hours ago, codyman said:

Since you already have MCR54's and you're going to be bagging it, I'd go for the 833 + SL2 + "+4 Plugin".  Keep that weight down as much as possible and given you don't really have a need for Dante given the 8 channels going directly in via the SL2.  I'd only splurge on the 888 if you think you're going to move over to a Dante based workflow.

Totally agree with you,

If Henry can find Sound Devices CL12 eventually , that is a nice cart based setup also...

Cheers.