audio timecode delay shift sync ultrasync one tentacle sync zoom f6

Sound

Hi,

I am syncing video to audio via timecode using two ultrasync ones on a zoom f6 and a sony a7 III.

Zoom f6 is set to output timecode to the USO and this transmits TC to the USO on the a7 III.

Then I sync using tentacle sync and export as media files.

Usually this works perfekt and I have done so for lots of shooting days and hours,

but this time there is one clip in the middle of the shooting day with audio shifted from video about a minute or so..

In tentacle it shows as audio-TC found.

All other files before and after this clip are in sync.

Did anyone experience the same problem?

I havent started or stopped audio recording between those video clips.

Does anyone know what could possibly have happened and how to prevent this issue?

Where can I look for those problems to find out whats causing the shift???

image.png

LTC-Convert shows the same timecode for video.

So maybe its a problem with the USO or the F6?

image.png

Check the difference between LTC and normal TC. I bet you won't see a difference.
If the master LTC clock was sound, and sound has one long file, and video clips before and after are ok, there is something fishy with the video file.

Check the file size and compare it with other files, see if there is a significant size difference to what should be expected.

Try LTC convert to create a new clip. And, try LTC convert to re-stamp the BWF to match the video TC.
If any of the two fail, send me the files.

Thanks again for all your help!!! I double checked this time: Timecode and Video Files are perfectly ok. Its an AUDIO-JUMP in the recorded Audio of the Zoom f6. You can clearly hear it, as it jumps during a recorded video and gets out of sync. Its the second time now - it happens since I activated dual record 32 bit and 24 bit with six channels. THATS CRAZY! Quick performance test of the sd card in the zoom f6 is ok. Now I am trying the extended performance test. Did this happen to anyone else as well?

Heres a sample of one of the recorded tracks on the zoom f6.

Wow, I didnt expect an audio recorder nowadays to do this.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:52 PM, VASI said:

My general advice is to make ULTRASync One as master and then distribute to F6; and the other ULTRASync One (Camera) as Slave. 

Thanks for the advice. As it is an audio jump, timecode is fine. I am not sure if setting the USO as master is a good idea, as those audio files are very long and one take, timecode will not update from the USO master. I record the whole shooting day in one take and it creates new files automatically when reaching the file limit. Instead I think its smarter to feed the output to uso and then to the camera-slave.

Performance test of the card failed, but its strange that there is no warning during recording.

I will try with another card.

Other card failed as well. thats strange.

My six track 32 bit file is 2,11 GB.

My six track 24 bit file, which is simultaneously recorded, is 1,58 GB.

Both are 30 min long.

So its in total 3,69 GB for 30 Minutes.

Which should be about 2,04 MB/s - or am I wrong?

So basically even all my V30 cards should work fine in the Zoom f6 as they support 30 MB/s.

At least, they have been fine for recording UHD video with 100 mbit (12,5 MB/s) so far..

I performed a low format on all of my sandisk extreme pro sd cards, and they still seem to fail the test. Do you think those jumps in the files are a result of the sd cards? There is no warning in the recorder and no corrupt files on the card. You will only notice the problem one you have synced video to audio and are in the edit room..

I checked again, the the audio jump is on both files exactly the same, and it stays until the end of the recording. So as the recorder creates a new file with six channels activated about every 30 minutes, there can be 30 minutes video out of sync every time the jump happens. Until now this has happened once on two consecutive shooting days.

Does anyone have card recommendations for the zoom f6?

17 hours ago, Joe A said:

Couple questions:

Were the cards formatted in the F6?

Possible substandard or counterfeit SD cards?  Sandisk is a widespread target.

Can you work with the F6 connected to the camera and feed TC and audio signals via TRS cable, at least for a test?

Cards were formatted in the F6.

I even performed a low level format on the mac before formatting them in the f6.

I cecked all my five Sandisk-Cards with F3X Swift on the mac and they passed the test.

But on the F6 they all failed.

I have bought them all from amazon at different points in time and never hat problems on a video camera recording 100mbit/s video.

So they should be fine - although they are only v30 cards.

I just ordered a new V60 card and will try that out, its in the approved list from zoom as well.

All my Cards are Sandisk extreme pro v30.

Four of them 128gb and one is 256gb.

As those are the most common cards, I was expecting them to work.

Now I am trying Lexar Professional 1667x 128Gb.

I couldnt find out if the Zoom f6 can even take advantage of the UHS II standard.

Does anyone have details about the sd card slot?

I also use the Sandisk EXPro V30 disks, but I had a new Lexar UHS II V90 128G 2000X here, never used it to record but it was formatted in a Lexar UHS II SD card reader.  Into the F6...

The Lexar was recognized by the F6, reported correct size, then I reformatted it in the F6.  I recorded a track and played it back.   All GOOD, including the Lexar.

Check the unit.

7 hours ago, Joe A said:

I also use the Sandisk EXPro V30 disks, but I had a new Lexar UHS II V90 128G 2000X here, never used it to record but it was formatted in a Lexar UHS II SD card reader.  Into the F6...

The Lexar was recognized by the F6, reported correct size, then I reformatted it in the F6.  I recorded a track and played it back.   All GOOD, including the Lexar.

Check the unit.

Thanks Joe, that helps!

So the Sandisks all pass the full test in the f6?

That means that the recorder has a problem.

I will get a replacement unit today and try out all my cards.

By the way:

Does it matter, which recording format you select before starting the test?

So if you select one channel 24 bit recording does it test with a different bandwidth then eight channel dual 32 and 24 bit?

The above was 24 bit 48.

Now dual 24/32, again at 48.  Lexar card.   Both tracks were recorded, and LR recorded as Float.

Playback of all track recordings was GOOD.

Switch to Sandisk card, same record spec, tracks playback results all GOOD.

Only one mic / one channel, but all 6 + LR have been GOOD

3 hours ago, Joe A said:

This morning I see a post similar to your problem on this Facebook group, although your issue may be all with a faulty F6.  The post is under user, "Adam Grumbo".

(8) Zoom F-Series Recorders (F8n + F6 + F3 + F2) | Facebook

Thanks a lot!

I dont get this problem from the start on. Mostly its happening after an hour of recording or so...

I am constantly recording in the recorder and sync to video later.

So the files are quite long until a new one is automatically created and everything is out of sync.

There is a new post on that Facebook group reporting same problems, and I posted my observations there.  As said there, possible new batch of units, new chipset, new firmware, ....

Add that group for future info visits, and contact Zoom Support and give them full details.

12 minutes ago, Joe A said:

There is a new post on that Facebook group reporting same problems, and I posted my observations there.  As said there, possible new batch of units, new chipset, new firmware, ....

Add that group for future info visits, and contact Zoom Support and give them full details.

I did. Thanks for your help!

If the problems are linked to a chip or to firmware, or to a disk reader, only Zoom know how their systems are logically and physically cross-wired and where to look to correct this.   I have an older unit which appears to exhibit none of the problems.  Something has been changed to cause the behavior you and others are experiencing.  Zoom support!  Here in the USA I use by email and phone: 

Zoom North America
2040 Express Drive South S 500
Hauppauge, NY 11788

Phone: 631.542.5270
Fax: 631.542.5299
Email: info@zoom-na.com