Jump to content

fake fur black fabric for acoustics control on cardboard instead of furniture blanket?


PCMsoundie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Has anyone tried a few yards of thick fake fur on cardboard instead of furniture blankets for a highly reverberant acoustic space?

 

Half Yard Shaggy Faux Fur Fabric Synthetic Plush Craft Patch Sewing Fur Cuts
FabricLA-Shaggy-Faux-Fake-Fabric
Long Pile Shaggy Faux Fur Squares Fabric Fuzzy Material Cuts Patches Craft DIY Supply Costume Decoration

 

Even when having to put up a 2 wall space for a quick voiceover.

Not just walls but say in a bathroom has anyone tried scraps of this fake fur on the floor? Did it help anymore than say a furniture packing blanket on the ground or clamped to the top of the shower curtain loop? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, TVPostSound said:

That just won't work.

Only high frequency verb might be minimized, but in the voice fundamental frequencies between 150 and 300 will still

sound like a bathroom.

 

 

Would a Owens Corning 703 acoustic insulation, also called rigid fiberglass covered with some thick fake fur on one side be better in a bathroom since they absorb?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To reinforce what others have said ... you want thickness and mass, not fake fur.

We use fake fur on our zeppelins because the hairs cut wind by slowing the airflow down while staying (somewhat) acoustically transparent.  Which is to say, they eliminate the source of the unwanted wind noise without affecting the rest of the sound.

When treating a room acoustically transparent is the opposite of what you want.  You need something that will block and/or absorb noise, not let it through.  Fur for cutting reverb might look effective, but it won't do much, especially at lower frequencies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, VASI said:

 

Can you explain or post a link?

 

Rockwool is an insulation company. Safe'n'sound is their acoustic insulation product.

https://www.rockwool.com/north-america/products-and-applications/products/safensound/?selectedCat=safensound® downloads

 

Owens Corning 703 (without any facing) is another very effective acoustic insulation.

https://www.owenscorning.com/en-us/insulation/products/700-series-fiberglas-insulation

 

703 does slightly better at stoping sound transmission overall, but it is more expensive.

Frequency      125      250      500      1000    2000     4000      Overall
3" OC703        0.31     1.07     1.26     1.15     1.05      0.97       1.15

3" RW SnS      0.52      0.96     1.18     1.07    1.05      1.05        1.05

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2022 at 10:08 AM, PCMsoundie said:

Would a Owens Corning 703 acoustic insulation, also called rigid fiberglass covered with some thick fake fur on one side be better in a bathroom since they absorb?

Yes, forget the fur. Cover the 703 with batting, the kind used in quilts. Mainly to keep fiberglass from shedding in the air.

 

Rockwool is also a great product, but get what's available locally.

 

Start with corners, you might be amazed with just that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shastapete said:

Rockwool is an insulation company. Safe'n'sound is their acoustic insulation product.

https://www.rockwool.com/north-america/products-and-applications/products/safensound/?selectedCat=safensound® downloads

 

Owens Corning 703 (without any facing) is another very effective acoustic insulation.

https://www.owenscorning.com/en-us/insulation/products/700-series-fiberglas-insulation

 

703 does slightly better at stoping sound transmission overall, but it is more expensive.

Frequency      125      250      500      1000    2000     4000      Overall
3" OC703        0.31     1.07     1.26     1.15     1.05      0.97       1.15

3" RW SnS      0.52      0.96     1.18     1.07    1.05      1.05        1.05

 

Thank you, Peter! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Shastapete said:

Rockwool is an insulation company. Safe'n'sound is their acoustic insulation product.

https://www.rockwool.com/north-america/products-and-applications/products/safensound/?selectedCat=safensound® downloads

 

 

Your making it sound like I’m wrong. Rockwool is made of rocks heated to become lava-like liquid. I cut my teeth on theater construction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Your making it sound like I’m wrong. Rockwool is made of rocks heated to become lava-like liquid. I cut my teeth on theater construction. 

No, I was agreeing with you... VASI asked for further explanation, so I provided some context.

 

I've built around a dozen studios using both Rockwool and OC703 and agree that it is a great product. OC703 is more structurally rigid and can be wrapped in fabric and hung on a wall by itself. Rockwool is a bit fluffier, still holds its shape, but to be used as acoustic paneling, then it needs a structural frame. So in my experience, for making acoustic panels, OC703 wins, it also is a bit better at controlling the 250 to 1000hz range where voice intelligibility comes from. I prefer to use rockwool for built in acoustic treatment – where you have studs to provide the support to keep it in place. It is also fantastic for bass traps (because it is better at frequencies below 200hz) However, since it is less rigid and can be compressed when building a big stack in the corner you'll need some thin shelves fixed to the walls to transfer the weight – I like 1/4" ply with a number of large holes cut in it every 24" or so for this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...