contact mics for other than music instruments

PCMsoundie

Has anyone used a contact microphone for OTHER THAN music instruments?

Not for sound design but to add in the mix on narrative?

Maybe to gather footsteps on a metal grate to assist with foley or when a metal wall is being hit ?

Has any post foley person said that it may help them with foley to know when footfalls happen when the camera doesn't see below waist?

I've only seen contact mics used on double bass or cello for music reinforcement and drums as triggers for samples.

I know with contact mics it is recommended to use a Radial PZ-DI Piezo Optimized Active DI box with them.

Yep I use home made ones for insects "footstep", not synch of course -althought it could work in some case.

The more extreme I did were sounds of earth worms. They have invisible hair and if you found the proper material that conduct sound to stick your piezos on you can actually hear them! I use more than one to get a constant moving sound.

Yes a good DI box is mandatory.

On 2/24/2022 at 8:53 AM, Fred Salles said:

Yep I use home made ones for insects "footstep", not synch of course -althought it could work in some case.

The more extreme I did were sounds of earth worms. They have invisible hair and if you found the proper material that conduct sound to stick your piezos on you can actually hear them!

GASP!  That sounds awesome!  Can I hear some of that?!  I love earthworms for some reason, they’re just so cool.

On 2/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, Izen Ears said:

GASP!  That sounds awesome!  Can I hear some of that?!  I love earthworms for some reason, they’re just so cool.

🤣🤣🤣

Sorry I do not have these sounds with me (not in France this time of the year). They were for an exhibition at Cité des Sciences about Darwin, for a video installation with 4 speakers spatialised soundtrack.