Wind protection

JDirckze

I have used a variety of products on my 416, but am interested in other products out there and peoples experiences with them.

Products I have currently are a Rycote Softie, which I also use with a Koala soft cover when needed, a Rycote modular windshield kit, and a Windtech Big Gun foam with a Windtech Mic Muff.

I've been doing some searching and have come across the Lightwave miniscreen and also the K-Tek slip on fuzzy/fleecy windscreens. Just wandering if anyone out there has any first hand experience with either the Lightwave or K-Tek products? Both companies seem to promise better performance than the competitors, just trying to separate the truth from the marketing blurb...

Cheers!

Jason

Jason,

Just get the full size Rycote Zeppelin, with the LONG HAIR wind jammer...  It is the best tool for the job.... I have never seen or used anything that does as good of a job as that set up...  Used it for years, It will provide your best protection when the wind is whippin'  softies, I don't think so...  Good for BASIC doc style booming when you might be going inside and out all the time. For exterior shots where you might have actual wind, this is the set up... It kicks ass....   

Not happy with your Rycote stuff?  If so why not exactly?

..just curious

I currently only have the softie which I find adequate 90% of the time (even in Chicago).  But sometimes I wish I had the full zepp..

I just don't like the size/weight factor of my Rycote Zeppelin... it performs like it is supposed to. Also, I don't want to have a full Rycote zeppelin on all the time, and it is not an easy thing to carry around and put on your boom pole when you are doing the run n gun type stuff I am doing at the moment...

The reason the weight thing bothers me is that when I was using my old mixer (X5) and old mic (416) with a Rycote Softie and Koala wind cover, I never had troubles with wind, and I was working in San Francisco at the time which gets very windy, and even out on the ocean in heavy winds I never had an issue.

Now that I've changed mixer (Alphamix) and bought a new 416, even moderate winds cause me trouble.

Jason, I've had similar experiences. The koala is much better than the Rycote softie IMO. I also agree that the full Zep mount is too much when you're running around, particularly if I'm going from exteriors to interiors and wanting to change setups quickly.

I have some success putting the zep windjammer over the koala and rubber banding the excess off at the back. It does, however, reduce the isolation that the mount provides. At least with this setup I can still quickly strip back when I go inside.

Wind is the sound recordists enemy!

Wind is the sound recordists enemy!

It looks cool on screen though!  I like shots where you can see the wind blowing stuff around.  I like it in real life too.  (Because shoots are never real life dontcha know!)

I had an interview on a moving boat recently.  For the lavs I wrapped them in their own little softies under the clothes/life vests no problem there.  For the boom I stuck a Koala softie inside a Rycote zep.  Sounded a little muffled but there was no wind noise at all, and no fuzzy!  I wouldn't do this for anything but a boat or something inherently windy, but it worked!

Sorry Jason this probably doesn't help you.  I like the idea of rubber banding a fuzzy around a Koala Softie.  I bet that would work great, if not be a little DIY-lookin'.

Yes I like "fuzzy" better than "windjammer," it's cuter.

Dan Izen

I guess the reason the miniscreen caught my attention was it's small size, and it looks like it would weigh a lot less than a full zeppelin. I really do hate having to use a full sized zeppelin, unless I know that I will be outside the whole day and the wind is blowing a gale, but most of my days are both inside and out...

Thanks for the replies!

I bought 2 Rote zepplins and they are better then the Rycote zepplin.  They stop wind better, even without the furry and it's 1/2 the price of the Rycote.

Good to know, though I'm really trying to avoid the zeppelin style of wind protection. Far too cumbersome and heavy, not to mention overkill if indoors.

That Rode Zepp from what I saw is one size (LARGE) and quite a bit heavier than simliar size Rycote Zep. It may be cheaper but personally would never consider it.

A full Zepp is heavy especially with a windjammer but for windy exteriors you know you're safe.. even though your arms may be shakin a little (or a lot if its an 816:)

JC

• 9 years later...

For the CS3e that might be tough. You’ll have to call around. The Koala stuff was discontinued in 2012 or 2013 if I remember right. When I heard it I went out and bought a couple spares for my 416s. I always regretted not getting a spare for my cmit, but so far the original is still holding up fine. 

31 minutes ago, JonG said:

For the CS3e that might be tough. You’ll have to call around. The Koala stuff was discontinued in 2012 or 2013 if I remember right. When I heard it I went out and bought a couple spares for my 416s. I always regretted not getting a spare for my cmit, but so far the original is still holding up fine. 

Hi Jon. The model for the 416 fits the cs3e. If you are looking to sell one of your spares, I'm here! 😁 

No need to say you're a lucky man