Alternatives to Backpacks in the field

osa

Curious to know what other sound mixers are using when it comes to carrying accessories on you when on your feet and small recorder bags. Talking with other production people about break-ins and backpacks being stolen etc lately freaks me out about backpacks. I personally had experienced a huge loss a few years ago where our van was broken into and they climbed over the most expensive stuff in cases to go for all the soft bags n backpacks. I realize there’s no way to be 100% theft proof but I have since then started putting any soft bags inside pelican cases and looping theft deterrent cabling through the handles etc. but there’s something very specific about a backpack that draws the eyes of thieves. Dare i set it down for even a second,  it haunts me with 10 grand or more in wireless transmitters and microphones being in that bag when I am on the go. So if not a back pack - multiple smaller pouches? Shoulder bags? Fanny packs?

I’ve tried Fanny packs. Camelbak makes great lifetime warranty stuff. I got a slim MULE pack and the Fanny pack. It’s a good solution for in the street type stuff. I don’t put the bag down. It just swings one arm off  around front. Camelbak Fanny

Camelbak MULE

I got both on sale around November, after summer. Pull the water bladders and the Fanny rocks. 

I’ll PM you more. 

I like camelbak mule because it doesn’t scream “ laptop” or “tech gear”.  More, “sweaty” “snacks” look to it. I’ve also put the bladder back in for sunny days and it’s great having water on me.  

Thanks guys great info and in fact this makes me think of a schwinn bag meant for 10speed handle bars that i have tucked away somewhere that could be of use. My current backpack is a knock-off camelback mini version and yes that bladder is great in the summer.

i will check these links out for sure