WARNING: Audio jumps in Zoom F6 recording.

Sound

I have a massive problem with audio jumps on the zoom f6.

Below is a video example from another user.

Audio jumps at some point and gets out of sync, you can clearly hear it in the audio file, so its not a syncing issue.

I testeed 5 different high quality cards and orderend two new ones to be sure its not a card problem.

As it happend the first time in dual record mode (32 plus 24 bit), Zoom claimed it should only happen in this mode, but right now it happend in 24 bit mode as well.

All "full card tests" on this recorder and its replacement failed in the recorder with seven good cards (for example sandisk extreme pro) that work well in cameras and in a SD mixpre 10 II.

So I guess its an issue with some new chips in newer models as I think they changed something internally due to corona shortages.

Other users reported problems as well, so dont rely on this recorder!

Does anybody know if its possible to get an older firmware version and to restore it?

Maybe thats the cause..

As usual, Zoom provides no information in their information, and it's well-buried.  The serial number starting point is the only real and important detail.  Anyway, I use AC power inside and a good DC pack where AC is not an option.  The internal AA batteries (using Eneloops) are just a CYA, and they really hold a charge for a long time.  Thanks for the update.  I hope this is resolved ASAP for all.

Plus, the little undocumented detail of needing to connect to USB power at new condition to charge up an internal battery so that config settings would be retained, was the first Gotcha!  End of Rant.

1 hour ago, Joe A said:

As usual, Zoom provides no information in their information, and it's well-buried.  The serial number starting point is the only real and important detail.  Anyway, I use AC power inside and a good DC pack where AC is not an option.  The internal AA batteries (using Eneloops) are just a CYA, and they really hold a charge for a long time.  Thanks for the update.  I hope this is resolved ASAP for all.

Plus, the little undocumented detail of needing to connect to USB power at new condition to charge up an internal battery so that config settings would be retained, was the first Gotcha!  End of Rant.

I mostly use an NP-F750 and it lasts all day. Thats a huge advantage over the mixpre 10 II - which eats up batteries.

So no way for me to go back just because I want to keep weight and size small.

Charging via USB for the internal works on most devices, its the same for most sony cameras for example.

Yes, NP-Fs on the back as well here, but the F6 is the first device where that first USB charge "fact" became evident to me.  Actually, all present and prior Zooms were on Hirose feeds out of the box, and Sony cams too with their needs.  I must have followed that procedure out of dumb luck previously, but I do read the manuals and documentation would have obviated it.

Probably the firmware if there was a new part or new chips or printed circuit change due to production interruptions.  Zoom is said to be investigating this problem.  Older F6s do not seem to have this problem, and the fact that older firmware cannot be applied to the newer machines is the best confirmation.

22 hours ago, Joe A said:

Probably the firmware if there was a new part or new chips or printed circuit change due to production interruptions.  Zoom is said to be investigating this problem.  Older F6s do not seem to have this problem, and the fact that older firmware cannot be applied to the newer machines is the best confirmation.

I got my F6 in Feb 2020(!) as a BU to my 633. Got me 'out of jail' when needed. Pity about the chip problems as its very convenient to carry for BU. I don't suppose Zoom are telling people the serial numbers involved. Happy to share S/N if it helps us find out the numbers.

8 minutes ago, daniel said:

,,, I don't suppose Zoom are telling people the serial numbers involved. Happy to share S/N if it helps us find out the numbers.

See this link, from above post.  As of now it is the only solid piece of info of a possible beginning SN, but any small manufacturing or part change during any batch might be the cause. 

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/news/spec_changes/

Regrets.  Still more reports on the Net of Zoom problems, with this model and others.  No problems here with any of mine, as yet, but all my gear is a bit older to a lot older.  Don't need anything here, and if you can tolerate some daydreaming, there was mention of an SOS link today on another forum ( Chris Watson: The Art Of Location Recording (soundonsound.com) ), and from there I had a look here ( SX-R4+ – Sonosax ).  No GAS, but reachable and very interesting.... but just wandering around.

10 hours ago, Joe A said:

Regrets.  Still more reports on the Net of Zoom problems, with this model and others.  No problems here with any of mine, as yet, but all my gear is a bit older to a lot older.  Don't need anything here, and if you can tolerate some daydreaming, there was mention of an SOS link today on another forum ( Chris Watson: The Art Of Location Recording (soundonsound.com) ), and from there I had a look here ( SX-R4+ – Sonosax ).  No GAS, but reachable and very interesting.... but just wandering around.

Do you have links to those other reports?

Sorry for the short reply.  After the rash of reports with the SD problem and recording drop-outs specifically back in the beginning, I mostly come across various operating lapses with the newest models - F3, F2, and the F6, and after short replies if any, simply recommend Call Support.  I really make no mental note of where or what.  I like to work early in the morning: up today at 4, been at it 4 hours now except for a quick coffee and a look here an hour ago.  I do spread that Zoom news link at times and maybe that quells further reports, but many reports seem to be with physical HW or FW bugs and not operator error, and Zoom should get the call.  

On 3/24/2022 at 1:27 PM, Joe A said:

Sorry for the short reply.  After the rash of reports with the SD problem and recording drop-outs specifically back in the beginning, I mostly come across various operating lapses with the newest models - F3, F2, and the F6, and after short replies if any, simply recommend Call Support.  I really make no mental note of where or what.  I like to work early in the morning: up today at 4, been at it 4 hours now except for a quick coffee and a look here an hour ago.  I do spread that Zoom news link at times and maybe that quells further reports, but many reports seem to be with physical HW or FW bugs and not operator error, and Zoom should get the call.  

Keep us updated! I am ordering a different Version on Amazon. They have an IFS and a GE version. Theoretically they should be identical but hopefully they are a different production date..

On 3/25/2022 at 2:01 PM, Joe A said:

Caught me again, a break.  2 minutes!   Will do.  Earlier I sent an email off to Zoom support on another matter, a request, but it included F6.  Keeping them busy.  Best luck this time.

Ouch, I hope there will be a solution soon. Was it with a card that passed the test? Which recording settings?