WARNING: Audio jumps in Zoom F6 recording.

Sound

Today zoom released new 1.8 firmware, what probably should solve this issue for someone

1. Sound skips sometimes occur when recorded in Dual Mode.

2. There are cases in which a part of metadata is incorrect when recorded in Dual Mode

I don't record in Dual Mode, and still after 30 minutes of recording I have audio jump, with new firmware.

Can you guys try to see if new firmware solves this issue for you?

Thanks for the update. I was really hoping, this could solve all problems..

I just installed the update and the first card suddenly passed the full performance test.

(SanDisk Extreme 128gb)

Before the update it failed every time.

But I still hope this is not only a "cosmetic" correction in the display to avoid a product recall of the recorders.

8 hours ago, Inna said:

Today zoom released new 1.8 firmware, what probably should solve this issue for someone

I don't record in Dual Mode, and still after 30 minutes of recording I have audio jump, with new firmware.

Can you guys try to see if new firmware solves this issue for you?

In which mode did you record?

Right now there is no easy way to find audio jumps on the mac.

This is the fastest way for me:

I feed Timecode from the output of the f6 to audio input 1.

Then I record for hours or days... with 256 gb I can record about 80 hours in 24 bit - 6 channels.

Then I have to compare file tc with the audio TC at the end of each clip.

If audio jumps there should be differences between file tc and audio tc.

The fastest way for me was to use ffworks for Mac to batch cut off the last seconds of every file.

(Apply the "trim" effect to one file and copy it to all the others).

Then export (FFworks deletes file tc on export as all other tools - unfortunately).

Then I sync those files to the originals via audio-tc, export an xml for final cut (or any other preferred editing software) and compare the END of the original clips and the trimmed clips on the timeline.

If they align at the end, then the file-tc (or the audio-tc, depends on the way you sync) at the start of the original file and the audio tc of the cut out version (from the end of the original file) are identical.

Its a few steps but it takes a few minutes only - much faster than recording with two devices and listen if they are in sync.

Another option could be to use "LTC Convert" with "expect breaks", but I couldnt test it for myself - first I have to find a file with audio jumps.

Maybe I will let the recorder run for three days powered via usb-c - if I cant find any jumps then the update should have fixed the problem.. :)

• 8 months later...

Found this old thread, while researching this problem on the Zoom F6.
I had the same problem. Dual recording to a high quality SD card (SanDisk Extreme). Seconds of audio are missing in the 32bit FB wav file, causing sync problems. I used Timecode, so I was very surprised to find sync issues at the end of the file. I turned to occur quite early in the file, before the 2GB limit. I had to cut the recording, and re-sync each piece by audio (not TC). 
Bothersome. Hope the new 1.9 FW has fixed this problem.

• 4 weeks later...

After the FW update I didnt have any recording issues anymore. But I am always recording 6 channel audio in 24 bit. I am not using 32 bit anymore as it is quite annoying to set the reference gain again for every channel before starting a recording.