CMIT 5U V.S. CMC6/MK41 , filters on CMIT5U

noni

Hello everybody ,

I am using as my primary mic on boom 1 CMIT 5U (depending from situation-CMC6/MK41) and always filter off , and from time to time,  on a second boom 2  CMC6/MK41. I know that guys from post never complained about matching them , but I was curios , did any one using them in the same situation like to booms maybe used low-cut filter (18 dB/oct. below 80 Hz) to match them, (as it seems to me with that filter on they sound very close), or you live for the post to do that. Also one thing more , as I am working currently one movie on the mountain , and wind can blow very strong, so I am using Rycote windshield WS 4, with HI WIND COVER (some times two) + wind jammer , did any one there used High-frequency emphasis (+ 5 dB at 10 kHz) to enhances speech intelligibility, and compensates for high-frequency loss caused by windscreens , or you live that for the post .

Thank you guys

Best

Novica Jankov

Novica,

From my experience these two microphones are beautifully matched and post would probably not notice any difference. I usually operate my (2) Schoeps CMIT 5-U microphones with two filters activated.

Looking at the mic with the XLR at the bottom, it would be the top and bottom ones on, the middle off.

Top: Frequency emphasis (+ 5 dB at 10 kHz) enhances speech intelligibility, and compensates for high-frequency loss caused by windscreens;

Bottom: A gentle low-frequency rolloff (6 dB/oct. below 300 Hz) compensates for proximity effect.

I've arrived at this setting simply by listening to what sounded the most natural and warm. I also use the Cinela mounts, as this microphone is very susceptible to boom handling noise.

Once you put a Rycote  and a Windjammer on any microphone it will loose high frequencies, but the trade off is getting the dialogue - and that counts the most.

I've been very curious about using the Cinela ZEPHYX windshield system. But I have been unable to get a price quote.

Good luck,

RL

post-284-130815082905_thumb.gif

post-284-130815082909_thumb.jpg

post-284-130815082913_thumb.jpg

Sorry, should have been clearer -- I keep those settings on ALL the time. If you can get away with keeping the filters off in interiors then by all means.

My experience has been to use those filters even in interiors given the unpredictability of the shot requirements no matter how skilled the boom operator is.

RL

Hey Richard ,

This is great, thank you very much for shearing your experience about this lovely mic , and I will do some test's and will let you know , it's really good to know others opinion. I am really found of this microphone , and it will be pity not to explore all the possibilities that it gives.

Best

Novica Jankov

I've arrived at this setting simply by listening to what sounded the most natural and warm. I also use the Cinela mounts, as this microphone is very susceptible to boom handling noise.

Once you put a Rycote  and a Windjammer on any microphone it will loose high frequencies, but the trade off is getting the dialogue - and that counts the most.

I've been very curious about using the Cinela ZEPHYX windshield system. But I have been unable to get a price quote.

RL

Don and I rarely use the filters on the Schoeps long mic but next time we use it I am going to experiment with your standard practices, top and bottom filters on.

As for the Cinela windscreen, I have been in pursuit of this for the last year or so, even after learning what the potential PRICE will be (VERY high considering the prices for all the other windscreens have been dropping over the years). The hold up, it seems, is that there is not a model suitable yet for the CMIT-5 (blue) Schoeps according to the people at Cinela. The windscreen as is will accommodate a Schoeps CMC5/6-41 with the Low Cut (which I thought nets out to about the same length as the blue mic but I guess not). When and if this windscreen arrives, it should be a winner. It utilizes all the proper principles that Don and I have experimented with and even built our own windscreens, and gets away from all the things that make the basic zeppelin style windscreen such a disappointment.

Jeff,

The next job I'm on, (please let it be real soon), I will try it with the filters off. Since I use the Cinela mounts, I probably should.

When Don worked with me for about a week last April, he did not mention anything about the filters. At least he didn't seem to notice any substantial difference and he has 'golden ears'.

How much was the pricey quote on the Zephyx?

RL

How much was the pricey quote on the Zephyx?

RL

I think something like $1500. for the windscreen and the integrated Cinela mount. I don't really remember, it was so long ago. I remember seeing the Cinela mount first in France, at Audiovisuel in Paris, and when enquiring about what it cost there in France I got very confused about all the pricing for these things. Fabi and Sherrie at Coffey Sound have had direct email contact with the Cinela people --- I will ask again what the status of development is and pricing.

-  Jeff Wexler

I also do as Richard does and have the top and bottom filters engaged.....the top boost in a rycote and windjammer is necessary to pull in the tops and gives better directionality...switching it out makes me want to instantly put it back in....I did an historical doco a couple of years ago when the CMIT was new...all the interviews were with 90 year olds from Bomber Command in WWII........the CMIT with the top end engaged made there older voices much more distinct and the rerecording mixer asked me what mic I had used....I asked why and he said " because with all the mics I apply a bit more top end for intelligibility but with this Schoeps CMIT its spot on...I don't have to do anything to it..." and this from a double Oscar Rerecording Mixer...very nice.