phantom power and 5 pin m/s stereo mics

osa

Looking to see how 5 pin stereo mics are powered, and more specifically, if a Y cable could be created to piggyback a m/s mic with a different mic to replace the "mid" center. I am looking at getting a CMS-50. if i were to only cable the "side" portion of the mic with appropriate 3 pins soldered/ 2 pins blank on one of the Y splits, would the mic still receive power?

There are some 5pin mics that work only correct if both capsules are powered. why not working with with a 7pin cable and an adapter 7pin to 5pin and 3pin? this way you could use it as a double ms or have the mid channel of the cms 50 as a second front channel?

40 minutes ago, haifai said:

There are some 5pin mics that work only correct if both capsules are powered. why not working with with a 7pin cable and an adapter 7pin to 5pin and 3pin? this way you could use it as a double ms or have the mid channel of the cms 50 as a second front channel?

I have an older PSC boom pole where I plan to do exactly that, I was just curious though about the option with a stereo pole. Perhaps there is coiled cable appropriate for seven pin connectors that I am unaware of, but I feel the cabling for my seven pin PSC rig will be relatively cumbersome but manageable.  I did end up ordering the Sanken stereo and plan to test at some point once I get the opportunity to. 

• 1 month later...