New indoor mic

micah2877

Hello, 

Im about to purchase another (better) indoor mic. I've been using the Audix HC for years. As others have said, its reach is not the best and falls apart after a certain distance. I recently got to try a gig with the MKH-50 and wow loved the difference. I didn't have it long enough to get to know it's pattern well, only the better clarity and punch. 

I operate solo mostly, and it has been all dramatic narrative. Having a more forgiving pattern is a help - at least for now.  I have been looking at the MKH-50 and the Sanken CSM1, which has gotten a lot of love here. I'll have to make a day-drive to try out the senny, but the Sanken is not in stock anywhere near me. I could do the old buy n return but thought I would see if anyone had a word here first.

Of the two, for solo work, which one would you recommend? Reach/rejection etc.

Is there any advantage to having the CSM1 for just interiors other than it being really hot?

I currently have a 416 , an mke-600 (so so), and Cos11s for exteriors and wides.

Just a newb and getting going so thanks so much for any advice.

Mart

IMHO the MKH50 sounds “better” than the CSM1 in ideal conditions. 

however the CSM1 has better rejection than the 50 and still sounds great.

For me when I don’t know what kind of environment I’m going to be in, the CSM1 has been my default.

-Mike

My two favorite is:

- Schoeps CMC6 MK41
- Sennheiser MKH-50

Schoeps CMC6 MK41 with DPA lavalier cuts really nice as well as Sennheiser MKH-50 with Sanken COS-11. We have used Sennheiser MKH-50 in exterior for dialogue with pleasant results, never had the opportunity to try Schoeps CMC6 MK41 as exterior for dialogue purpose; but for SFX (scenes without dialogue) and it was great.

For inside, I much prefer Schoeps CMC6 MK41 for female voices. I have "boomed" (as boom op) Mark Holden with Sennheiser MKH-50 and when heard for first time his voice was like "dude, it's already final track, does not need something special in post"; aka "in-your-face" punch.