Moving abroad (or further away)

chrisbakeruk

Hey Guys,

So I've been self employed for about 4 years now, living in the countryside, and I've built up a real nice bunch of contacts. Problem is that for various reasons I'd like to move to a city, potentially in a different country... either-way, quite a long way from where I am now.

I'm thinking of taking on some projects back here sometimes, but realistically I suspect it won't take long for the network I've built up to fall apart. So I'd need to build a new network of people fast!

I just wondering if any of you had experience with moving long distances as either a sound recordist, post-production soundie, or music composer? Would be great to hear your 2 cents based on your own experiences.

Thanks guys!

I moved from Los Angeles to Northern California a few years ago. I was lucky to be able to hit the ground running because I moved into an area with a well connected network of people who were happy to help me get my feet on the ground, and I moved far enough away from most of them to where my “territory” didn’t particularly threaten theirs lol. My best advice is to reach out to local colleagues and make friends, and play their game. Charge their rates and hold the line on numbers in that area, be a pillar to your sound community, and you’ll have fast friends. 

6 hours ago, JonG said:

Charge their rates and hold the line on numbers in that area, be a pillar to your sound community, and you’ll have fast friends. 

Some great advice, thanks Jon, couldn't agree more about rates... although glad you mentioned it because I guess the initial reaction might be to start with a lower price when you move, but you are right, better to make sure you look after the people already there!

If you charge less when moving to a new area you’ll be seen as someone moving in to undercut and undermine an established industry and economy. You will surely create enemies right away, and likely have a really hard time getting a foothold in that area. In our industry, your colleagues are your best resource, not your competition. 

2 hours ago, JonG said:

If you charge less when moving to a new area you’ll be seen as someone moving in to undercut and undermine an established industry and economy. You will surely create enemies right away, and likely have a really hard time getting a foothold in that area. In our industry, your colleagues are your best resource, not your competition. 

Agreed!