Problem Retracting Boom Pole

Michael Render

I have just finished a shoot using my K-Tek KP16 with coiled cable and side exit.

For most of the shoot, the pole lived on a c-stand.

When we struck, I was not able to retract the pole all the way.

Did I stretch out the cable to much? Is there a way to correct this?

I appreciate any wisdom you may have.

unscrew the bottom (or top since the cable is fully removable) and let the cable spill out when you fully collapse it down. Then stretch the cable out and see if there are any double twists or snags that isn't letting it close and work those out – then stuff it back in.

In my experience, this happens when the pole has been twisted/spun in one direction causing the cable inside to do funny things to absorb that extra tension

I hope your issue is the internal cable--it's worth taking the boom apart to find out.  You mentioned using the pole on a C stand, and one issue with doing that is that the boom can easily get slightly bent if you are using a heavy mic, esp. in a Zep with some wind pressure on it.  Other causes of problems are if someone tried to adjust the angle of the pole without loosening the grip head, or the whole rig was picked up and moved with the pole extended, causing the mic end to bounce up and down some.  I had these issues from both my own hurry to move setups and by helpful non-sound dept crew members deciding to move the mic on their own. 

Thank you for you advice. I ended up taking the pole apart (thanks, YouTube) and was able to get the pole all collapsed again.

Since there were no kinks in the cable and no damage to any pole segment, here is what I think happened:

We were shooting for a week in a cold location here in Ohio. Routinely about 40 degrees on set. The cable in the extended pole became stiff in the cold and kept the pole from collapsing fully. I guess this not a problem if it is warm.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:41 AM, Philip Perkins said:

I hope your issue is the internal cable--it's worth taking the boom apart to find out.  You mentioned using the pole on a C stand, and one issue with doing that is that the boom can easily get slightly bent if you are using a heavy mic, esp. in a Zep with some wind pressure on it.  Other causes of problems are if someone tried to adjust the angle of the pole without loosening the grip head, or the whole rig was picked up and moved with the pole extended, causing the mic end to bounce up and down some.  I had these issues from both my own hurry to move setups and by helpful non-sound dept crew members deciding to move the mic on their own. 

This is a good reminder. For this reason, I don't leave a boom extended on a stand over night, even is a seemingly benign sit down interview type situation. Also the boom is always the first thing to come down, as soon as I hear "wrap". Obvious stuff, but reading about bent poles, just re enforces the practice. I have not actually had this happen to one of my poles yet, but have gotten the cable twisted to the point where it will not seat completely. One of my older backup poles, a CF K-Tek Avalon, has a rear facing XLR that is flush mounted. The internal cable seems to get twisted up, more often than I like. Probably because it is also the one I use, when I need a PA to help out in a pinch and the collars are not the best design, which encourages twisting of the pole to release the ring.  I keep a spare female xlr end in my kit, so I can stick it in there and unscrew the connector while on set. I can then release any knot or tension in the coiled cable, without damaging a critical XLR. Not fun. Thank you the info.

I added the "auto retract" feature from K-Tech. It's a tiny little motor that lives within the right angle bottom piece. When your day is finished, you loosen the collars slightly, then push the recessed button and it does all the rest for you -- the pole finishes retracting, the internal cable is perfectly coiled, there's nothing more to do.

For the addition of only 3.2 ounces, it makes wrapping quicker and easier. 

I understand they're only available for a short period of time, so get yours now! 

58 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

I added the "auto retract" feature from K-Tech. It's a tiny little motor that lives within the right angle bottom piece. When your day is finished, you loosen the collars slightly, then push the recessed button and it does all the rest for you -- the pole finishes retracting, the internal cable is perfectly coiled, there's nothing more to do.

For the addition of only 3.2 ounces, it makes wrapping quicker and easier. 

I understand they're only available for a short period of time, so get yours now! 

I brought up a browser to search for it.... then.... good one. You had me for a second.