Cinela Pianissimo Upgradability

chrisbakeruk

Hey Guys,

Thinking of getting a Cinela Pianissimo for my MKH8060. I'd like the option to add Mid/Side later on, so was wondering if any existing cinela users could tell me how they setup?

Do you have two different mounts/lyres and you switch between the mounts and cables when going from Mono to MS?

Is it even possible to buy the mounts seperately later on?

Thanks

I don't know details of Cinela products, but I recently had some extra time and responded to this post on a Sennheiser MKH 8000 forum - (9) Sennheiser MKH 8000 users - MKH 8040 8050 8060 8020 8090 8070 | Has anyone had any success adding an extra pair of single lyres 62 (19/25) to the Center bar of the Rycote ORTF suspension | Facebook

I have a Rycote ORTF rig with the MZL connbox.  The connbox was removed from its center position during the rework, but I was able to reinstall afterwards to a position just off-center.  No mods or cutting of the ORTF rig were necessary, just the addition of the third center position lyre set, and the connbox reposition to another of the many threaded bolt sockets built into the Rycote rig.  I reused/cut down an old RODE support with lyres designed for hot shoe attachment.  The RODE plus an extra MZL cable and a couple M3 bolts finished the mod.

You might have a simpler mod with these Rycote clips plus a second mic cable - Rycote Back-to-Back Microphone Clips (Pair) 048488 B&H Photo (bhphotovideo.com).  I see the clips often with MS setups (and use them myself).

Rycote has the advantage of being fairly modular and universal, so each rig can easily be adapted to new situations. This comes at the expense of better mic isolation and possibly wind protection. 

Cinela has the advantage of making each mount specifically for every microphone which comes at the expense of adaptibility. However, you can get the suspension needed for the MS rig and swap that out for the mono suspension - as I understand it. Not sure how it works with the cabling and all, but it is possible. Send Cinela an email. They are very responsive and helpful

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Rycote has the advantage of being fairly modular and universal, so each rig can easily be adapted to new situations. This comes at the expense of better mic isolation and possibly wind protection. 

Cinela has the advantage of making each mount specifically for every microphone which comes at the expense of adaptibility. However, you can get the suspension needed for the MS rig and swap that out for the mono suspension - as I understand it. Not sure how it works with the cabling and all, but it is possible. Send Cinela an email. They are very responsive and helpful

Thanks Constantin, I've tried scouring google for their website/contact details, but couldn't find them... am I being a numpty, or are they impossible to find?

4 hours ago, chrisbakeruk said:

Hey Guys,

Thinking of getting a Cinela Pianissimo for my MKH8060. I'd like the option to add Mid/Side later on, so was wondering if any existing cinela users could tell me how they setup?

Do you have two different mounts/lyres and you switch between the mounts and cables when going from Mono to MS?

Is it even possible to buy the mounts seperately later on?

Thanks

Are you planning to go with an Mkh 8060 + Emesser/CCM8 Setup or completely different mics for MS?

Either way, I would get an 5Pin XLR Pianissimo right away, because changing the connector from 3Pin to 5Pin is not practical on set. With 5Pin you only have to change the suspension.

If Mkh 8060+CCM8 is your end goal, I would buy this configuration right away. You can detache the cable for the CCM8 and use the Mkh 8060 only for now.

Generally speaking, you can buy all the parts seperately as well.

Here is a video from cinela on how to change the entire connector, like I said, not practical on set:

14 minutes ago, chrisbakeruk said:

Thanks Constantin, I've tried scouring google for their website/contact details, but couldn't find them... am I being a numpty, or are they impossible to find?

The best way to reach out to them is on Facebook, you can try email, but I think they are not as responsive: contact@cinela.fr

The Pianissimo MS stereo version comes with to small mic connectors inside that connect to the XLR under the windshield.
You could easily use only one mic and add a fig 8 later, but the xlr on the stereo version is 5 pin. So even if you only use one mic I recomend to use 5 pin on your cables.

I "upgraded" my Pianissimo to an MS version, they sent me a new cable system and a new suspension and clips for the mics I am using (4017b and ATE308) pretty easy to do, but not something I'd want to do on set unless there was a good 30 minutes to do it, as you need to take the whole thing apart and put it back together.