Tascam HS-P82 Recorder at LSC

For those who may be interested, LSC will have the show demo of the new Tascam HS-P82 8ch field recorder in our office for an hour or so on Thursday morning (11-05-09). About 10:30 we are told. This is not an official event, just the rep bringing it by for us to check out. And you are all invited to crash the party if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

LSC

10639 Riverside Drive

N. Hollywood Ca. 91602

(818)980-9891

For those who may be interested, LSC will have the show demo of the new Tascam HS-P82 8ch field recorder in our office for an hour or so on Thursday morning (11-05-09). About 10:30 we are told. This is not an official event, just the rep bringing it by for us to check out. And you are all invited to crash the party if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

LSC

10639 Riverside Drive

N. Hollywood Ca. 91602

(818)980-9891

I had a chance to see it at AES and was impressed with it's full sized features and bang for the buck.. A more detailed hands on report would be appreciated.

Eric

• 1 month later...

Just saw this on 695 quarterly.  Anymore info or experience about this than what's on the Tascam site?  A control surface perhaps?  Does it jam tc or just pass it through like Olestra?  Tone? 

The P82 has a full function tc generator built in. The flip up touch screen/meter display is the path to activating the tc and other functions. AFAIK delivery to dealers should be sometime in January. I've heard prices from $5k to $7k but no one knows for sure yet.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Yup. We are still awaiting our demo unit. We were told late December but...

The Tascam engineers took copious notes about what we wanted to see in routing flexability and other things for the recorder when they were here in October. I think they are trying to implement what they can before they do launch it. However some features we requested will definitely have to wait for a future firmware update after the product is released.

I will post when ours arrives so the left-coast folks can come by and have a look.

SJ

The P82 has a full function tc generator built in. The flip up touch screen/meter display is the path to activating the tc and other functions. AFAIK delivery to dealers should be sometime in January. I've heard prices from $5k to $7k but no one knows for sure yet.

Eric

For that price point, I would personally stay with some of the more popular offered options... At least until the machine has been shook out by others....  5 sec pre roll?   But that's just me....Looks cool though...

a prototype is on display at the NAMM show, with some of the features upgraded since November...

it is really looking and sounding good... still quoting about $5500 street...

they are now projecting deliveries to dealers in March, which I interpret as April or May!!

patience everyone...

Which means official debut at NAB in April.

Eric

a lot of recorders that say they have 10 seconds of preroll actually have less at higher data rates...

I have started another thread regarding how much preroll is really needed...

maybe we are just a bunch of spoiled brats, but 5 full seconds is a lot of time, and I believe that with the additional seconds before action begins (most situations) it should also be enough for post (lock-up issues)...

fire away!

as for the pre's, TASCAM is a respected name with a long history in the MI sector, and the new production recorder is in their premium lineup.

as always, the rule: "generally speaking, you get what you pay for".

Actually, I don't agree, at all, that 5 secs is enough....

Not with the all too common deterioration of normal (old-school?) set protocols ...

basically barking ADs and a crazy pace, with with no consideration for the fact that it might be nice if we could make an adjustment AND be back in our postition before "roll camera!"

It sucks .... 

A LOT of times, it seems like I barely get a chance to call out "speed".... in this crazy instant world of HD.  Jeesh..... if the set could just be quieted first!!

Even in the docu / reality moments, when something starts and you want to "be there"... it can take 3-5 seconds to get to the rec switch depending on what's happening...

I've been on the road for a bit and off of the group, but this is what I was trying to get to in a previous thread about "enough" TC pre-record... without making my own declaration, but rather to survey others first.   

This new Tascam is a promising machine... (I usually use Line Level inputs), but I consider less than 10sec pre-record a deficiency that should be corrected sooner than later with regards to it's release and adoption.... even if the price point is good...

Perhaps our dealers in the group could help convey this to the proper people, unless they disagree.

I'm not so sure that an increase in buffer - doubling it - would be so easy a software fix. There might be RAM or other physical aspects to this needed correction....

My three cents

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

" I'm not so sure that an increase in buffer - doubling it - would be so easy a software fix. There might be RAM or other physical aspects to this needed correction.... "

I did not ask at the booth about the preroll, and if there is enough memory it might, of course, be easy to change, so I'm guessing there is a hardware limitation...there are 8 outs + two, at 24/96,

from TASCAM's point of view, the handfull of machines the activists (not being derogatory, but there are a handful of folks who seem to want to redesign everything!) are probably such a small niche in the overall MI market that this product is largely targeted to, that unless it is actually really easy, I would not expect it to change...

remember the rule: generally speaking, you get what you pay for

this unit has a target street price of $5500... the unit you want would be $6k, maybe more.  TASCAM has made their decision (what to manufacture), and as consumers, we will makes ours (what to purchase).

• 3 weeks later...

Any new information on the Tascam DR-680? Any dealers or sound guys here get their hands on it at NAMM or know more about it? Still been searching around.

I just have one concern/question how you control levels on that thing? I don't see any knobs for each track so I'm guessing you have to arm each track and use the big volume knob not sure. No manual posted yet so can't further investigate but if someone did get to test it out let me know.

" Any new information on the Tascam DR-680? "

patience...

remember, they (Canon, and others) March, which really means April!

" I just have one concern/question how you control levels on that thing?   "

you have mentioned that...

and wasn't the bottom line that you select the option or channel, and then the rotary encoder control applies to the selected function...