Spoken word Music video playback

osa

I worked on a spoken word playback video recently that had what seemed like odd timing issues with playback, and with myself doing the post i was able to correct. Trying to troubleshoot for future reference. Our workflow was:

- spoken word poem was video recorded in a local recording studio with a u87 for that “studio look” on canon camera 29.97, sep tascam recorder was used for audio recording, 16b 48k and all was in sync when editor put both elements in premiere timeline

- files were sent to me via omf export, i opened in pro tools in a 24bit 48k session, played out different clips with 4 click count header on each to a different tascam recorder, recorded at 24b 48k

- tascam recorder from above was used to play back multiple audio clips with 4x header click counts thru a remote audio 9v speaker in mulitiple locations like a standard music video. Video was shot on a sony fx6 at 29.97

when same editor brought new material shot into his timeline, it was as if spoken word audio was 5% faster on these shots vs the original studio recordings (I might need to double check with the session to see what my time compression settings were). But because it was spoken word i was able to fix, not a big deal and in the end the client was happy with how it all came out. Had I not been involved in post, this might have turned into somebody else’s nightmare…

I have been involved in quite a few music video playback sessions and never had this kind of issue, from Timecode driven sync to boombox playback. Curious as to where playback speed might have shifted in the process of it all? I was in charge of watching her lip-sync to speaker and all of it was spot on during the shoot of the pick ups, and they all had to be decently long continuous takes so no option for cutaways. 

7 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Did you send audio to the camera (or have the camera mic on) during shooting?  Does the camera audio track match your master?  My guess is an import issue into PP

during the 2nd round, like PP thinks the new audio is @ 23.98.

Yep cam mic was on, it was a gimbal rig  and def 48k the whole way thru without the typical 44.1 pitch differential. The editor and i typically work in 23.98 but our client for this project has been in business for a long time and likes to work in 29.97 non drop a ton for what ever reason (a comfort zone?) so my guess is this is the culprit. I will talk more with the editor to see if we can trace this down as a possibility

Going over the project again, it’s possible it may have been on the talent and performance to the playback track.  i think our talent was not as “in sync” as we had thought on set which is much easier to detect critically in a post environment. Multiple sets of eyes watching and listening during the pressure of the shoot can be easily deceived. Also less forgiving with long takes of spoken word poetry versus singing music video style with a lot more opportunities for cuts. In hindsight i think it was important to print playback audio and cam mic with camera regardless of it being a gimbal rig and enforce watching lip sync during the shoot. Even though I was close to her with a speaker, another thought is an earpiece for talent might have been beneficial