What do you do when the foot foam won’t stick?

Izen Ears

It seems the rubber used in shoe soles has gotten very fancy, and sometimes nothing sticks.  I don’t mean outdoors or in unsafe conditions (stairs or wetness), but just regular INT wide shots (so no rugs).  Booties usually make it worse.  Tried gaff tape over the foot foam, but it falls right off.

I’d love to use spray adhesive haha!  What’s the solution?!  What I’ve always done is just not worry about it and let em live.  But sometimes I’d really like to  get some foam on.

Dan Izen

We’ve had some good results with moleskin. Ursa do rolls of it. Foot foam I find only lasts a take or two at most. You can get it to last somewhat longer by sticking tape onto the shoe first and then placing the foam on top of the tape. Also makes it easier to remove the foam from the shoe. But moleskin is worth a shot. 

I always make sure to wipe the bottom of the shoe with the foam right before I stick it on, to remove any dust and dirt. It probably helps marginally. But yeah, foot foom's usefulness lasts half a day at the very best in my experience. Use it for the wide shots and then it's time for carpet-chess.

7 hours ago, shug said:

We’ve had some good results with moleskin. Ursa do rolls of it. Foot foam I find only lasts a take or two at most. You can get it to last somewhat longer by sticking tape onto the shoe first and then placing the foam on top of the tape. Also makes it easier to remove the foam from the shoe. But moleskin is worth a shot. 

This is a great idea!

5 hours ago, r.paterson said:

Cover sole /heel with black  gorrila gaffa tape then stick foot foam to the back gorrila tape

Is that better than regular gaff tape?  The gaff tape did not stick at all but I guess Gorilla gaffa is stickier. Maybe straight up duct tape would work. These soles were like tire rubber, kinda greasy and oily.

I do have many rolls of moleskin so I can try that.  The black moleskin seems like it would be best but last time I used it (years ago) it wasn’t nearly as sticky as the beige moleskin.

Thanks!

Dan

I hate foot foam, because my experience seems to be the opposite: it sticks like hell and never comes off again, especially the non-foam part. And I also find that it only lasts for a couple of takes at the most. 
but that gaff tape idea is great, I may try that next time.