Lectrosonics DSR Dual-Channel and DSR4 Quad-Channel Digital Slot Receivers

Johnny Karlsson

New Next-Generation Receivers Provide the Highest Level of RF and Audio Performance Available with Versatile Feature Sets for Field and Location Production

Rio Rancho, NM (April 20, 2022) – Lectrosonics is pleased to announce the introduction of the DSR and DSR5P dual-channel and DSR4 quad-channel digital slot receivers. The new receivers are compatible with all the current Lectrosonics mono and stereo digital transmitters and are backward compatible with any of the Digital Hybrid Wireless® transmitters made in the past 20 years. The DSR and DSR5P receivers provide two independent receiver channels and the DSR4 provides four independent receiver channels at the highest level of RF and audio performance available, with versatile feature sets and next-generation capabilities in the Unislot/Superslot form factor for ENG (Electronic News Gathering), field, and location production.

https://www.lectrosonics.com/press-releases/1364-lectrosonics-introduces-dsr-dual-channel-and-dsr4-quad-channel-digital-slot-receivers.html

Just put a pre-order in for a DSR4.  I was told the guesstimate at the moment is September pending FCC stuff and also hopefully no other issues.  Very excited that Lectro is releasing this with backwards compatibility for the 400 series etc as it will be nice to be able to continue to use my trusty existing transmitters while also being able to upgrade them to the digital series down the road.  If all goes well, I'll probably order another so that I can use an 833 + SL2 + 2xDSR4 which would be good enough fro 99% of my work.

13 minutes ago, Ian Berman said:

$4500 -- I think that's a new rx high score?

Two channels of true (vector) diversity, if i'm understanding this correctly. Does the other diversity mode, for 4 channel operation, work similarly to past sr series? Or is it a newer method?

The question is (or should be) what's the cost per channel? $4,500/4 puts it near the lowest cost per channel available in a self-contained portable receiver. 

The antenna phase switched diversity (for 4-channel operation) is similar to what we've used in the UCR411A, Venue 2, etc. but revised specifically for this model. It works very well. 

4 minutes ago, karlw said:

The question is (or should be) what's the cost per channel? $4,500/4 puts it near the lowest cost per channel available in a self-contained portable receiver.

It's a tool that makes our careers possible + is a tax write off + makes my life easier + works and sounds great etc etc.  Some people act like you're going to ship 50 million of these things out a quarter like it's the latest iPhone (which they have no problem paying four figures for each year...).  Looking forward to giving it a spin!

6 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

New Next-Generation Receivers Provide the Highest Level of RF and Audio Performance Available with Versatile Feature Sets for Field and Location Production

Does the DSR4 really have better RF performance than the DSQD like the headline above implies?

This is great- been excited about something like this for a while.  Congrats to you and the team at Lectro @karlw!

I noticed the manual is still pending on the site.  I read the backplates are going to be unique to this receiver- will they be similar in size to older backplates though?  

Any access to plug headphones directly into the unit to monitor or troubleshoot (say via USB adapter or backplate if ever used as a camera hop)?

Any functionality to control transmitter settings besides the IR frequency setting function (specifically transmitter gain while in the middle of a take)?

Thanks Karl!

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I wonder if 2x DSR4 is compatible with the Sound Devices SL2?? As I notice while it is still "a superslot" design, the casing at the top is a bit chunkier, does it still squeeze in?

I've been told it is 3.23" inches wide.  I had the same question given I will be using it in a PSC Four Pack.

That reminds me, I'm also curious if it works with Lectrosonics' own Octopack? And like with the SD SL2, does it work even if you fill up all the slots with DSR4? As sometimes configurations allow you to squeeze in one oversized piece of equipment, but then all the rest of have to be "regular"/slim sized. 

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

That reminds me, I'm also curious if it works with Lectrosonics' own Octopack?

I know that the PSC Four Pack passes through AES so you can get 8 digital channels on 4xTA3 connectors via 2x slot 4 channel receivers.

14 hours ago, tincali said:

This is great- been excited about something like this for a while.  Congrats to you and the team at Lectro @karlw!

I noticed the manual is still pending on the site.  I read the backplates are going to be unique to this receiver- will they be similar in size to older backplates though?  

Any access to plug headphones directly into the unit to monitor or troubleshoot (say via USB adapter or backplate if ever used as a camera hop)?

Any functionality to control transmitter settings besides the IR frequency setting function (specifically transmitter gain while in the middle of a take)?

Thanks Karl!

The backplates for the DSR4 will be the same size as the older ones (for the SR Series) and in fact the older ones will fit on the new 4-channel receiver. They will even power it and you can get channels 1 & 2 out of them. However, for the full functionality with the new receiver (4 audio channels out via analog or AES3 on the DSR4EXT, or two AES pairs via DB25), you'll need the new plates. 

No provisition for direct headphone out on this unit - just nowhere to put that. No other remote control in this receiver. 

6 minutes ago, karlw said:

The backplates for the DSR4 will be the same size as the older ones (for the SR Series) and in fact the older ones will fit on the new 4-channel receiver. They will even power it and you can get channels 1 & 2 out of them. However, for the full functionality with the new receiver (4 audio channels out via analog or AES3 on the DSR4EXT, or two AES pairs via DB25), you'll need the new plates. 

No provisition for direct headphone out on this unit - just nowhere to put that. No other remote control in this receiver. 

If I plan on using it for now in my PSC Four Pack, could I use my existing plate for the slot and still get two analog out from the built in outputs + then use the top analog connector for 3+4?

14 minutes ago, codyman said:

If I plan on using it for now in my PSC Four Pack, could I use my existing plate for the slot and still get two analog out from the built in outputs + then use the top analog connector for 3+4?

Yes you can

7 hours ago, codyman said:

New answer! The Superslot spec has the same pins carrying two balanced analog channels, and two AES 3 channel pairs. So, with the DSR4 receiver, channels 1 & 2 would be on balanced pair pins 1 (gnd), 2(+) and 3(-) and then channels 3 & 4 would be on pins 1 (gnd),, 18(+) and 19(-). This means the Octopack, and similar analog distro/slot units can support 4 channels per slot, if the receivers are set to AES outputs. 

1 hour ago, karlw said:

New answer! The Superslot spec has the same pins carrying two balanced analog channels, and two AES 3 channel pairs. So, with the DSR4 receiver, channels 1 & 2 would be on balanced pair pins 1 (gnd), 2(+) and 3(-) and then channels 3 & 4 would be on pins 1 (gnd),, 18(+) and 19(-). This means the Octopack, and similar analog distro/slot units can support 4 channels per slot, if the receivers are set to AES outputs. 

Thanks Karl, this receiver is very welcome in our world. 

Does this mean we can get 4 channels out using the Sound Devices SL6 with a Scorpio? 

Having 12 channels in a SL6 would be amazing. 

Thanks 

Glad to hear the Lectrosonics Octopack is now going to become a Lectro "16pack"! 😉 

23 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Over on Facebook then Matt Radlauer asked: 

will two DSR4 fit side by side in a SL2? The ADX5D only have a 1/8" between them.

And @karlwreplied with "yes"

Music to my ears! 

Small clarification from @karlw(am posting it here as well, for future easy access online):

"be aware that the Sound Devices SL-2 switches slot audio globally, so it's either all AES or all analog audio in from the slots. In a mixed environment, where one receiver is analog only (A DSR4 and an SRc, for example), the slot audio defaults to analog. DSR4 channels 3&4 would need to come from the top panel TA5 in that scenario."

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Glad to hear the Lectrosonics Octopack is now going to become a Lectro "16pack"! 😉 

Small clarification from @karlw(am posting it here as well, for future easy access online):

"be aware that the Sound Devices SL-2 switches slot audio globally, so it's either all AES or all analog audio in from the slots. In a mixed environment, where one receiver is analog only (A DSR4 and an SRc, for example), the slot audio defaults to analog. DSR4 channels 3&4 would need to come from the top panel TA5 in that scenario."

So is there no way to get AES out of an src/srb that would work with the sl-2?

16 hours ago, Peter Mega said:

Thanks Karl, this receiver is very welcome in our world. 

Does this mean we can get 4 channels out using the Sound Devices SL6 with a Scorpio? 

Having 12 channels in a SL6 would be amazing. 

Thanks 

I'm pretty sure the limitation here is the SL6 only supports 2 channels per slot, it's an SL6 issue not receiver problem.