Lectrosonics DSR Dual-Channel and DSR4 Quad-Channel Digital Slot Receivers

Johnny Karlsson

18 hours ago, Erob said:

I'm pretty sure the limitation here is the SL6 only supports 2 channels per slot, it's an SL6 issue not receiver problem. 

Deep down I knew this already but the way it was worded sounded like analog distro/slot units (like the SL6) could support 4 channels of AES. 

We can only live in hope 😉

2 hours ago, jwill said:

I presently have an SRC block 941 and a pair of SMQVs', can I just order 2 new SMQvs' and pre order DSR4 ( try to sell the 941 SRC)  and be set with 4 channels in the bag?

@jwillDSR4 doesn’t cover the 941 band based on the current specs/info Lectro released I believe.  You’d have to buy transmitters in blocks 470-23 or A1/B1 to be usable with the DSR4.

I saw this on the homepage?

CFD25424-C2FD-4FA2-9A27-D770E72C8C9E.jpeg

New Next-Generation Receivers Provide the Highest Level of RF and Audio Performance Available with Versatile Feature Sets for Field and Location Production

Rio Rancho, NM (April 20, 2022) – Lectrosonics is pleased to announce the introduction of the DSR and DSR5P dual-channel and DSR4 quad-channel digital slot receivers. The new receivers are compatible with all the current Lectrosonics mono and stereo digital transmitters and are backward compatible with any of the Digital Hybrid Wireless® transmitters made in the past 20 years. The DSR and DSR5P receivers provide two independent receiver channels and the DSR4 provides four independent receiver channels at the highest level of RF and audio performance available, with versatile feature sets and next-generation capabilities in the Unislot/Superslot form factor for ENG (Electronic News Gathering), field, and location production.

Both receivers are offered in several tuning ranges including A1B1 (470-614 MHz), B1C1 (537-692 MHz), 941 (941-960 MHz for use in North America) and 961 (961-1,015 MHz for use in the UK). Settings can be made from the front panels which feature high-resolution displays, making the units ideal for use in portable bag systems, mounted in or on cameras, and on sound carts. An RF spectrum analyzer and SmartTune are built into the receivers to alleviate interference problems in an increasingly congested RF spectrum. (Lectrosonics SmartTune is the easiest and fastest way to scan the local RF spectrum and find clear operating frequencies.) 2-way IR sync makes it quick to set up matching transmitters. The new receivers include a USB jack and data connection through the SuperSlot interface for compatibility with Lectrosonics Wireless Designer frequency coordination and system management software.

The RF gain stages in the front end of the DSR and DSR4 use a newly developed design to provide low noise RF amplification, excellent sensitivity and extremely low susceptibility to intermodulation and de-sensitization with an IP3 (3rd Order Intercept point) of an exceptional +15 dBm (DSR4) and +11 dBm (DSR, DSR5P).

The DSR and DSR5P dual-channel units are exactly the same size and with the same screw mounting holes and rear connector as all Lectrosonics SR series predecessors, so that existing accessories for powering, audio outputs, and slot mounting are all compatible, including the SREXT, SRSUPER, SRSNY, and SRBATTSLED units.

The DSR4 is slightly longer than the older units in order to accommodate larger circuit boards. As the unit has four audio outputs, the legacy accessories can’t be used with the 4-channel unit. Thus, new accessories for mounting, powering, and audio outputs will be available.

Both receivers incorporate powerful AES 256-CTR mode encryption, with four different encryption key policies available including Universal, Shared (great for sports coverage), Standard, and Volatile (one-time use key).

“These new receivers represent the state of the art in portable RF performance and are the result of 5 generations of SR Series slot receivers” says Karl Winkler, vice president of sales & marketing at Lectrosonics. “Since 2007, the SR Series has been one of our most popular product lines, having revolutionizing field production. Now, with both 2- and 4-channel digital slot receivers, the SR Series again represents the next generation.”

The DSR and DSR4 will be available worldwide from Lectrosonics Authorized UHF dealers starting in Q3, 2022. For pricing, please contact your authorized Lectrosonics dealer.

Visit Lectrosonics at NAB 2022 Booth #C6518 to see the new DSR and DSR4, as well as the full line of Lectrosonics products.

On 4/23/2022 at 12:47 AM, BAB414 said:

So is there no way to get AES out of an src/srb that would work with the sl-2?

We can already get AES out of a SRc/SRb with this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1302359-REG/lectrosonics_sraes3_sr_end_plate_adapter.html 

But the Lectrosonics SRAES3 can't be used with an SL2, so the SRc/SRb by itself in the SL2 can't output AES. 

Thus if you put a DSR4 in a SL2 with a SRc/SRB, then the DSR4 has to be analogue mode. (as it seems the SL2 has to be either all analogue or all digital)

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

We can already get AES out of a SRc/SRb with this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1302359-REG/lectrosonics_sraes3_sr_end_plate_adapter.html 

But the Lectrosonics SRAES3 can't be used with an SL2, so the SRc/SRb by itself in the SL2 can't output AES. 

Thus if you put a DSR4 in a SL2 with a SRc/SRB, then the DSR4 has to be analogue mode. (as it seems the SL2 has to be either all analogue or all digital)

That's what I figured. If the routing is flexible in the DSR4, you could do analog outputs 1&2 through superslot and then 3&4 out the ta5 on the front I suppose.

On 4/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, karlw said:

New answer! The Superslot spec has the same pins carrying two balanced analog channels, and two AES 3 channel pairs. So, with the DSR4 receiver, channels 1 & 2 would be on balanced pair pins 1 (gnd), 2(+) and 3(-) and then channels 3 & 4 would be on pins 1 (gnd),, 18(+) and 19(-). This means the Octopack, and similar analog distro/slot units can support 4 channels per slot, if the receivers are set to AES outputs. 

Thanks for all the info, Karl!  I'm sure you are busy at NAB but I noticed in your interview with Gotham Sound you mentioned that the new DSR4 has a way higher tolerance of overload from signals.  I like the idea of using an HM plug on for my boom when I one man band so that I can easily set the boom down and out of the way to fiddle with transmitters etc but I've had a problem in that my HM is an older model that's locked to 100mw and thus likes to overload my SRc.  Theoretically, would the DSR4 be better at making that not an issue?

On 4/26/2022 at 12:53 AM, BAB414 said:

That's what I figured. If the routing is flexible in the DSR4, you could do analog outputs 1&2 through superslot and then 3&4 out the ta5 on the front I suppose.

Exactly! That's indeed how you'd use the DSR4 in a SL2 I'd presume if the second slot has an analogue receiver. (i.e. a SRb/SRc)

On 4/25/2022 at 3:31 PM, codyman said:

Thanks for all the info, Karl!  I'm sure you are busy at NAB but I noticed in your interview with Gotham Sound you mentioned that the new DSR4 has a way higher tolerance of overload from signals.  I like the idea of using an HM plug on for my boom when I one man band so that I can easily set the boom down and out of the way to fiddle with transmitters etc but I've had a problem in that my HM is an older model that's locked to 100mw and thus likes to overload my SRc.  Theoretically, would the DSR4 be better at making that not an issue?

Yes, the DSR4 has an IP3 of +15 dBm whereas on the SRc it is +5 or so. In the scenario you described, the DSR4 (like the DCR822) should hold up better than the SRC does. 

On 4/20/2022 at 7:53 PM, karlw said:

The question is (or should be) what's the cost per channel? $4,500/4 puts it near the lowest cost per channel available in a self-contained portable receiver. 

The antenna phase switched diversity (for 4-channel operation) is similar to what we've used in the UCR411A, Venue 2, etc. but revised specifically for this model. It works very well. 

Hi,

Vector diversity work only in 2 channel mode , or I did not understand it right?

Will DSR4 work with Aaton Hydra system?

Thanks in advance.

On 5/1/2022 at 7:32 AM, Dejan Ceko said:

Hi,

Vector diversity work only in 2 channel mode , or I did not understand it right?

Will DSR4 work with Aaton Hydra system?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, Vector Diversity is used when you can combine two of the channels. You can do that with each pair (channels 1 & 2, and channels 3 & 4). Thus, you could have a 3-channel receiver with one Vector pair and two channels using antenna phase switching (like our UCR411a, Venue 2, etc.)

We plan to work with Aaton to make the Hydra compatible with the DSR4, yes. 

2 hours ago, karlw said:

Yes, Vector Diversity is used when you can combine two of the channels. You can do that with each pair (channels 1 & 2, and channels 3 & 4). Thus, you could have a 3-channel receiver with one Vector pair and two channels using antenna phase switching (like our UCR411a, Venue 2, etc.)

We plan to work with Aaton to make the Hydra compatible with the DSR4, yes. 

Thanks to you, Sir.

• 1 month later...

Question for karlw. The DSR4 is compatible with the stereo digital Tx DCHT. My question is, is it possible to use two of the four channels tuned to the frequency of the DCHT (maybe in Vector mode) and get two separated channels out? 

My idea would be to have two DPR on channel one and two and one DCHT sending a stereo signal from a MS mic on channel three and four.

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, codyman said:

Do any of the Lectro Wise Men know if everything is on schedule for release soon?  I think I was quoted "Hopefully September" for my pre-order.

An aluminum shortage was holding up delivery of extrusions for the front panels. Mind you, aluminum is one of the most common elements on the face of the Earth but deliveries were almost a year late. We've had to mount some sound absorptive foam to the production manager's wall. Not to quiet his frustrated screams but to prevent a concussion when he pounds his head against the wall.

A quantity of aluminum finally came in and just today a small quantity of units have been given to shipping. There is a substantial backlog but the Damn dam has burst.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

31 minutes ago, LarryF said:

We've had to mount some sound absorptive foam to the production manager's wall. Not to quiet his frustrated screams but to prevent a concussion when he pounds his head against the wall.

Glad to hear things are getting back on track and sympathies to the residence of Rio Rancho who have been putting up with muffled, unidentifiable screams echoing from what seems to be Lazer Rd.

9 hours ago, LarryF said:

a small quantity of units have been given to shipping

Are you talking about the new DSR4 or about the DSQD? I thought the DSR4 was still waiting for approval of the FCC to be put into full production.

I am also hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that i'll be able to do my next feature in november with my new receivers! 

On 6/11/2022 at 7:55 AM, Ben B said:

Question for karlw. The DSR4 is compatible with the stereo digital Tx DCHT. My question is, is it possible to use two of the four channels tuned to the frequency of the DCHT (maybe in Vector mode) and get two separated channels out? 

My idea would be to have two DPR on channel one and two and one DCHT sending a stereo signal from a MS mic on channel three and four.

Ben, so sorry I missed your question back in June! 

Yes, you can use the DSR4 exactly as you've described - you can set any two channels up to act as a "stereo receiver pair" to output the two audio channels from that stereo signal. 

Hey Karl.  How does the AES routing work on the unit?  Is it fixed with Channels 1/2 3/4 outputting on the TA3 connectors or can you choose what goes to where?  My 633 has just two channels of AES on one connector but I could see myself in a sit down interview situation using only two channels and putting the system into vector? Mode and wanting to put both separate, bonded channels onto that one AES connector.

15 hours ago, karlw said:

Yes, you can use the DSR4 exactly as you've described - you can set any two channels up to act as a "stereo receiver pair" to output the two audio channels from that stereo signal. 

That's great news! One more reason to be excited about the units i preordered!

It seems like i'll be buying some more lectro in the near futur... :)