Lectrosonics DSR Dual-Channel and DSR4 Quad-Channel Digital Slot Receivers

Johnny Karlsson

16 hours ago, codyman said:

Hey Karl.  How does the AES routing work on the unit?  Is it fixed with Channels 1/2 3/4 outputting on the TA3 connectors or can you choose what goes to where?  My 633 has just two channels of AES on one connector but I could see myself in a sit down interview situation using only two channels and putting the system into vector? Mode and wanting to put both separate, bonded channels onto that one AES connector.

You'll be able to choose routing options in the menu just like in the DCR822, but with 4 channels rather than 2.

9 hours ago, karlw said:

You'll be able to choose routing options in the menu just like in the DCR822, but with 4 channels rather than 2.

It would be great though, if it could be a bit more flexible than it is on the 822. 

Specifically, I‘m hoping that I will be able to route 4 channels via AES using only two physical outputs, with each carrying two channels of AES. That leaves two physical outputs unused and I would like to be able to route something to them. Like an analog out taken from receiver 1 or whatever. This would allow me to record an actual backup on another machine. 
you may recall that I asked for this for the 822 as well, but afaik it never happened. So it would be awesome if at least it were to happen on the DSR

18 hours ago, Constantin said:

It would be great though, if it could be a bit more flexible than it is on the 822. 

Specifically, I‘m hoping that I will be able to route 4 channels via AES using only two physical outputs, with each carrying two channels of AES. That leaves two physical outputs unused and I would like to be able to route something to them. Like an analog out taken from receiver 1 or whatever. This would allow me to record an actual backup on another machine. 
you may recall that I asked for this for the 822 as well, but afaik it never happened. So it would be awesome if at least it were to happen on the DSR

According to our engineering team, there are some tradeoffs when trying to solve this issue where both analog and digital outputs would be active simultaneously per receiver channel. I'll be chatting more with engineering next week to see what those tradeoffs are and how they might impact the product overall including delivery times. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 5:45 PM, Constantin said:

Hi Constantin, as it turns out, the DSR4 output routing will be simple on one hand, but also (I think) meet your needs. There are two output sets: one for "jack 1" and one for "jack 2". You can choose either AES3 or Analog for each jack set. For instance, Jack set 1 can be set to "AES3" and on the two balanced pairs, you'll get all four receiver channels in two AES3 pairs. Then, on Jack 2, you can choose analog, and get receiver channels 3 and 4. If you'd rather have 1 and 2 analog for your redundant scenario, then set Jack 2 to AES3 (you'll get all four channels) and then choose analog for Jack 1 and you'll get receiver channels 1 & 2 in analog format. For the case where you want "receiver channels 1 and 3 analog while all four are digital out of the other jack" the workaround is to change which receiver channels are receiving which transmitters. I hope that makes sense!

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2022 at 8:18 AM, MarriottSound said:

So forgive me if I missed the answer, but will it be possible to use the Sound Devices SL2 with 2x DSR4 and get 8 channels of Rx/Tx internally with the superslot A1 A2 A3 A4 and B1 B2 B3 B4?   Currently using SRC and hoping for an 8 channel no cables fully routable solution in the dual DSR4 concept.

Yes, with the DSR4DB25 bottom plate, the DSR4 receiver can be docked in the SL-2 and provide 4 channels of audio in AES format. using two receivers with these bottom plates would give you 8 channels total, just as you've described. 

On 11/4/2022 at 3:18 AM, MarriottSound said:

So forgive me if I missed the answer, but will it be possible to use the Sound Devices SL2 with 2x DSR4 and get 8 channels of Rx/Tx internally with the superslot A1 A2 A3 A4 and B1 B2 B3 B4?   Currently using SRC and hoping for an 8 channel no cables fully routable solution in the dual DSR4 concept.

Yup, I think the issue is if you want to mix and match DSR4 with your existing SRc. 

Then you have to put the DSR4 in analogue mode, so that the SL2 can use the SRc at the same time as well. 

On 11/13/2022 at 8:43 AM, jhop said:

DSR4 Q4 22 a fading pipe dream?

Hi Jhop,

That depends on just what is in that pipe.

If it is premium tumbleweed, there are 28 Beta units out for sound mixer destruction and mayhem.  If the units survive with no hiccups, the tumbleweed induced visions may replace "...visions of sugarplums". 

If there are problems that we missed in our testing, then as Mike Sepich said long ago in Engineering, "We will ship no whine before its time".

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher

p.s. Supply problems can mess up our planned timelines. We used to be able to get prototype boards in 5 days and production boards in 2 weeks, paying a 50% premium. Now prototype boards are 4 weeks and production boards are a months or more away. So if there is a major redesign problem with beta units, Q4 2022 products become 2023 products. The engineers do take Elmer Fudd's modified advice, "Be vewy vewy quiet, I’m hunting pwoblems!, He-e-e-e-e!"

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to making the switch to the DSR4 eventually!

I was trying to find on this thread (or anywhere) if you can use a combination of SMQV style transmitters with the DBSMs.

For example- could I transmit two SMQVs, an HMa, and a DBSMD to one DSR4 simultaneously? 

2 hours ago, JonMoore said:

Looking forward to making the switch to the DSR4 eventually!

I was trying to find on this thread (or anywhere) if you can use a combination of SMQV style transmitters with the DBSMs.

For example- could I transmit two SMQVs, an HMa, and a DBSMD to one DSR4 simultaneously? 

I can't answer that specifically, but I know that with the 822, you can operate one channel digital hybrid and the other full digital, if you need to.  But of course, there is a time delay difference between the two systems(digital hybrid vs. full digital).  I believe it's listed in the manual or spec sheets on-line.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:17 AM, codyman said:

Just put a pre-order in for a DSR4.  I was told the guesstimate at the moment is September pending FCC stuff and also hopefully no other issues.  Very excited that Lectro is releasing this with backwards compatibility for the 400 series etc as it will be nice to be able to continue to use my trusty existing transmitters while also being able to upgrade them to the digital series down the road.  If all goes well, I'll probably order another so that I can use an 833 + SL2 + 2xDSR4 which would be good enough fro 99% of my work.

can we use on 833 / scropio + SL2 + 2xDSR4?  I hear only can use one DSR4, the other is 2 channels only, total is 6 channels on SL2, am I wrong?

4 hours ago, Eric Lau said:

can we use on 833 / scropio + SL2 + 2xDSR4?  I hear only can use one DSR4, the other is 2 channels only, total is 6 channels on SL2, am I wrong?

You can use a max of 8 channels through the Sound Devices SL2. 

Any mix of the 4x AES and 2x Superslots that you like. (and yes, the Superslots can each handle four channels if in digital mode)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for all of your invaluable advice over the years!

I'm very interested in the DSR4, and am coming from a DCR822. I have a couple DBSMs, and a some SMDWBs. I know that the SRCs use antenna phase switching, which seems to work great with digital hybrid transmitters. My DCR822 uses 2 receiver boards per channel, which allows vector diversity on each channel. As I understand it, vector diversity is the ideal mode you want to use with digital transmitters. If the DSR4 only has 1 receiver board channel, this seems like it would make vector diversity on 4 channels impossible, as Karl stated earlier. 

My question is: can anyone speak to range and reliability of a digital transmitter (DBSM) and a receiver using antenna phase switching? Does vector diversity enable significantly better reception than antenna phase switching in D2 mode?

If vector diversity is required for reliable digital signals, then it would seem that while the DSR4 is a 4 channel digital hybrid receiver, it's actually only a 2 channel digital receiver.

16 hours ago, ZachM said:

Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for all of your invaluable advice over the years!

I'm very interested in the DSR4, and am coming from a DCR822. I have a couple DBSMs, and a some SMDWBs. I know that the SRCs use antenna phase switching, which seems to work great with digital hybrid transmitters. My DCR822 uses 2 receiver boards per channel, which allows vector diversity on each channel. As I understand it, vector diversity is the ideal mode you want to use with digital transmitters. If the DSR4 only has 1 receiver board channel, this seems like it would make vector diversity on 4 channels impossible, as Karl stated earlier. 

My question is: can anyone speak to range and reliability of a digital transmitter (DBSM) and a receiver using antenna phase switching? Does vector diversity enable significantly better reception than antenna phase switching in D2 mode?

If vector diversity is required for reliable digital signals, then it would seem that while the DSR4 is a 4 channel digital hybrid receiver, it's actually only a 2 channel digital receiver.

The DSQD receiver for 4 channel use uses Phase anntena for D2, 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up on anyone waiting on their DSR4’s…if using an SL2 the SMA antenna extensions are juuuuust long enough to attach on to the DSR4 SMA posts(due to its longer/ taller length vs SRC)…but a bit too much cable stress for my style. I use 90’ sma -sma adapters. I’ve used them constantly with my SRC’s& SL2  and saw no issues or reduction in range. Also note, no DSR4 SuperSlot support yet - to be addressed with an upcoming FW release (hopefully) later this month.  I would also advise if not using a SL2 and going analog,  get making (or buying) a 90 degree TA5f - 90 XLR now. Incredible product, super easy to operate, fast menus and LOVING the radial buttons over the membrane style. Took less than ten minutes for me to be completely comfortable in the operation and functionality. Still waiting on my 2nd unit to ship but happy to have at least one  already! 

9E7E308F-DF16-445D-A857-7F42A72793DE.jpeg

FYI Sound Devices has released v9.20 firmware for their 8-Series mixer/recorders that now recognizes a DSR4 in an SL-2 and turns on AES inputs in the slot, and triggers the DSR4 to turn on digital outputs. No other integration is done at this time - we'll see full integration (scanning from the mixer interface, channel names, RF levels shown, etc.) in April/May. 

https://www.sounddevices.com/download/?prod=scorpio

I have installed firmware version 9.2 on my 888 with SL-2.  There are 8 selectable slot inputs seen by the 888.  However only the first two channels of each slot are passing audio when I run tone from all four channels of the DSR4. Additionaly, it does not automatically switch the DSR4 outputs from analog to AES.  I’ve submitted the bug to Sound Devices.  Anyone else experiencing this?