Sennheiser EW G4 frequency band choices. Or Sony instead?

Samuel Dilworth

I’m thinking of getting a Sennheiser evolution wireless G4 100- or 500-series transmitter and receiver for use with a lav mic and a camera.

Would like the option to eventually add an XLR transmitter for a phantom-powered boom mic.

First problem: which frequency band to get.

I’m currently in the Netherlands but plan to move to France, where I lived before. But I’m British and would like to use it in the UK too from time to time. And I often visit Romania.

I’m aware of Sennheiser’s International Frequency Advisor. Very useful:

https://nl-nl.sennheiser.com/sifa

However, it seems to suggest that only the narrow 863–865 MHz range is licence-exempt in the UK. Can that be true? Are sound guys in the UK applying for licences for everything they do?

Although this narrow band seems to also be licence-exempt in France, the Netherlands, Germany, and Romania, among countries I checked, it’s at 10 mW ERP (or just 6.1 mW ERP in the Netherlands: can a Sennheiser even be set to transmit at such a low power?).

So I’m guessing the narrow band and limited power kill 863–865 MHz as a viable idea … but you tell me.

The next most obvious band for my purposes might be Sennheiser’s band B, which covers 626–668 MHz and seems to contain suitable frequencies for all of these countries except the UK.

I’ve spent hours getting this far, but I’m a rank novice at wireless, so please tell me if I’m talking nonsense.

•••

Second thing: why a 512P, say, over a 112P?

The former has an MKE 2 rather than an ME 2, but I’m not sure how valuable that is to me. A YouTube comparison I saw didn’t persuade me that the MKE 2 sounded significantly better. Are the MKE 2 advantages all in the small size, sweat resistance, etc.?

•••

Third: Sony’s bewildering wireless products appear to come in different frequency bands from Sennheiser’s, but no single product appears to cover both 863–865 MHz (for the UK) and a swathe of frequencies in the mid-600 MHz range (for the aforementioned EU countries).

But aside from that, which Sonys compete directly with the 100- and 500-series Sennheisers, and why might I prefer them?

I’m keen on a solid build quality if it matters.

Thanks a bunch.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:57 AM, Samuel Dilworth said:

But aside from that, which Sonys compete directly with the 100- and 500-series Sennheisers, and why might I prefer them?

The Sony UWP-D21 is the equivalent you're looking for:

Pros: same price as the EW100 (cheaper than the EW500). A tonne more features (such working with the smartshoe with Sony cameras), USB powering, better UI/ergonomics, option of a dual receiver, and proper true dual diversity. 

Cons: the wiring for the lav is "different" (not wrong! Just "different").

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The Sony UWP-D21 is the equivalent you're looking for:

Pros: same price as the EW100 (cheaper than the EW500).

Here in Europe the UWP-D21 seems to be priced halfway between the 112P and 512P. Does look interesting, though. But why an OLED screen? Those are harder to see in sunlight, draw more power, and have a shorter lifespan. I guess OLED looks modern.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Cons: the wiring for the lav is "different" (not wrong! Just "different").

Ah. What fun.

7 minutes ago, Samuel Dilworth said:

Here in Europe the UWP-D21 seems to be priced halfway between the 112P and 512P. Does look interesting,

I had a quick look (as I tend of think of prices either in terms of American pricing or local kiwi pricing), and the price for Sony vs Sennheiser seems to be almost exactly the same:

https://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/sony-uwp-d21-bodypack-wireless-microphone-package.html

https://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/sennheiser-ew-112p-portable-lavalier-set.html 

On 4/21/2022 at 1:57 PM, Samuel Dilworth said:

Second thing: why a 512P, say, over a 112P?

The former has an MKE 2 rather than an ME 2, but I’m not sure how valuable that is to me. A YouTube comparison I saw didn’t persuade me that the MKE 2 sounded significantly better. Are the MKE 2 advantages all in the small size, sweat resistance, etc.?

The 500 series have wider frequency ranges than the 100, so you have a little more flexibility. The 500 series plug-on TX also has 48v phantom for full sized condenser mics.

I wouldn't judge mics by Youtube audio, and lavs are practically a consumable anyway. The MKE-2 is a much better mic in terms of quality and durability in my experience.

Think I’ll go with the Sony UWP-D21 despite the annoying mic wiring.

So what’s the best long-term way to deal with this wiring? MicroDot mics and adaptors? Sony mics? Buy third-party mics wired for Sony in the knowledge that their used value (here in Sennheiser-dominated Europe) would be miserable?

Looks like Sony’s K33 band (566–630 MHz) would be at least as suitable for my use as the slightly narrower K42 (638–694 MHz), having looked at TV transmitter frequencies in major French cities.

Clearly I have to give up hope of having 863–865 MHz for licence-free British use with both Sennheiser and Sony.