Anyone using or used sennheisier 418s+mkh8050 for surround sound recording ??

Cloud Wang

hi all

i got a project which request me provide a lot ambient sound,i have a 418s,it's good for stereo,but i just thought maybe i can provide more than stereo,i have a mkh8050,and it's small enough for mounting above the 418s,it's kind of like the schopes CMIT5u surround sound recording system,anyone done this before?any suggestion and advices??

thanks a lot

Cloud

hi Philip

thanks for the reply.yes,i think i will record 3 ch,i consider the 8050 will be the rear channel.

saw this topic on the shoeps' website,the shoeps set up seem like over budget for me so i thinking about maybe i can use what i have to try it out

here is some infos about this set up

http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/double-ms.html

i'm think about this set up

i have a 788T,so i can send the 418s' M to ch1,send 418s' S to ch2,send the 8050 to the ch3,and use one of the output,let's say output 1 for the 418s' S direct output signal,and this signal will go to the ch4

so i can M/S for ch1&2 for the front stereo,and phase the ch4,then M/S ch3&4 for the rear stereo sound

any suggestion would be appreciated

thanks all

Cloud

I like M-S a lot but have been dubious about the quality of M-S based upon a shotgun as the M component.  Best results are had using a cardioid and decent results can also be had with an omni.  I've never tried M-S with my 8050 before.  Using such a directional mic will give you an odd stereo space, sure it will have stereo content, but it won't have an accurate stereo image, which might not be important unless you are recording an acoustical music performance on a stage or something.

I do some double M-S as you are proposing, but with a pair of MKH 800 Twins (which I have been trying to sell).  They are 2 capsule dual output mics that I just ISO on 4 tracks and then process in post as needed.

For your setup, I would actually recommend flipping the 418S to the rear and then clip on a MKH8040 facing forward if you have one.  If you don't, go ahead and use the 8050, as I suspect it would give you better ambient sounds than the 418S facing forward, but that is just my theory.

hi Tom,thanks for the reply, i just did some simply test and i think it's not that bad,8050 is just so quiet,and for recording 3 chs and then decode in the post is ok.But what if i want record 4chs,like M/S track A/B,C/D....to get a front stereo and rear stereo directly....

then i tried my plan,but kind of failed. i sent the 418s' S signal to the output 1, and set the output 1 's source from input 2(418s's S signal)  and then M/S the track A/B,C/D,and then feedback happened on track C&D...........

and when i M/S 2 tracks together,their 48v are controlled together,the signal from output 1 is a line signal....if i can turn it 48v off.....maybe this plan could be succeed ?

any suggestion of how to set 788T to get what i want?

hi BVS,still remember that u told me let me keep my 418s...

thanks again

Cloud

i think i went to the wrong way at the very beginning,actually i worked out  this set up it  in the other way,just use a Y cable,split 418s' S signal to two signal and send to 788T's ch2,ch4,just add two phantom power on the 418s,totally fine!  then also use a Y-cable for 8050,send to ch3,ch5,with this set up,i can get directly 5ch surround sound files.

there is also another set up i tried,which i can only monitoring 5ch,but i can't record them directly into surround sound. Put 418s to ch1,ch2,8050 to ch3,and in the input routing setup,send the input 2 to track B and D,with this set up,i can change headphone monitor model to listen M/S AB,M/S CD,but i can't record them as stereo track,because in the input link set up,there is only input link model,no track link model. I think  it should be easy to add track link model,maybe this could be a new feature in the next firmware.

Cloud