Sonosax Mini R8

Ramsay

Just got an email from Sonosax. Apparently my Minir8 recorder will be shipped Aug 14th. Anyone else order/have one yet?

I would love to hear about it when you get it. I thought it was a really cool looking package. I am most curious how easy it will be to use since it seems to have an extensive feature set but a very minimal user interface with a small screen and a few buttons.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I have the Sonosax ST8D prewired for the internal recorder. I will use the Mini R8 until the internal Recorder is ready. I am sending the St8D back to Sonosax monday for the "North American" mods. Our next show doesn't start til late Sptember so I may leave the mixer at Sonosax for a bit if they think they can get the internal recorder installed. I have been a Sonosax user for 18 years and I must say the sonic quality of the ST8D is really something. We actually found ourselves using  the boom in some shots where previously we would have wired the actors. I'm a bit worried about the Metadata with the Sonosax recorder. I'm thinking that we will deliver the dailies on the cf card with minimal metadata and use Boom Recorder/Metacorder for burning multi track  DVD's. I really try to keep things streamlined because it can go nuts so quickly on set these days. Still working out the T.C. set up. On another note, the Sanken CS3E has been very good at rejecting the ritter fans blowing snow, distant traffic and we get an extra few seconds before I have to tell the Director "The plane is on the track".

I spent an hour fooling around with this Sonosax recorder.

User interface was VERY intuitive and very easy to use.

Shortcomings of this recorder (at the time that I tested the demo version) were:

1.  Monophonic file format only.  NO polyphonic option.

2.  Can only playback files that are recorded on itself due to propietary system of using a text file generated with each audio file that indexes or tells the machine where to find the files.

3.  No timecode outputs.

4.  I also seem to recall that I believe that only 4 tracks can be recorded through analog inputs.

-Darren

I have the Sonosax ST8D prewired for the internal recorder. I will use the Mini R8 until the internal Recorder is ready. I am sending the St8D back to Sonosax monday for the "North American" mods.

Personally, I would think twice about this.  The North American mods might be more acurately reffered to as the Trew Audio Mods, as that is where the idea to implement them came from.

I completely disagree with the idea that the channel mutes will NOT mute the direct outs.  I absolutely insist that my channel mutes DO mute the direct outs.  There is nothing worse than being on one of those poor communication/hectic shows and starting a take and it is not until after the camera rolls that you discover that one of the actors that you were told is in the shot, is actually not in the shot and, worse, saying or doing something embarassing, and you are going to record him pre-fader for the entire take.  It is great to know that you can mute the direct outs at will.  In my DA-98 days, I would have simply unarmed that actor's track.  But remember, for the most part in the non-linear world, you can NOT unarm a track once you have started recording that take.

-Darren

I have been reading the R8 (french) manual as best I can. It can record stereo pairs. or mono only . On the mixer,  I am only having them do certain of the Trew audio mods. I like having 4 XLR aux outs and I'm having no problem working with a 25 pin return. I also don't mind the center detent on the pots. With the headroom on the new mixer I don't do any "two handed" mixing any more. I have asked Sonosax if it is possible to use the analogue ins on the R8 as tracks 9 and 10. Either mixed to the HD or to the CF card. I'm finding 8 iso tracks is a good # to work with. I agree that the channel mutes are important. I don't want to spend all day arming and unarming tracks. The most important mod is to alow easy switching of track assignments and have them either pre or post fader.