First days with the Sound Devices 552 Mixer/Recorder

Chris Durfy

Good to know we can "ignore" SVEN when we get used to the presets and do our thing straight through without having to wait for confirmation messages ...

As for the self destruct, well, I could suggest other brands that could have it but not SD please...  :OP

And concerning the voice, I'd probably go with Tom Araya for the weak batteries so I'm sure I won't miss the cue ...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or have Scott Farrs posts all vanished? I was intrigued to see how other people felt about some of the issues he was finding with the 552.

Oh well...

It's always hard to say with Scott, his posts come and go and on occasion the man himself falls off the radar and then reappears. This Group is setup as freely and democratically as I can manage so each member here has the right to edit their own posts at anytime, or remove them, or even remove themselves without warning. I also allow members to hide their online status (which I know many of you do and I have no problem with that) and by default personal information is not available to all unless you request it.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

How does the 552 fit in the medium sized eargonizer bag(pegz-1 is one that i am thinking of) ?

In my current pegz-1 bag, the 442 is a little snug where the direct outs and the headphone connectors are.  On the 552 it looks like those connections have been moved further away from the front face of the mixer and better line up with the side entries of the eargonizer bag.  I could go to bigger bag but the next step up is too big for me at this time.

thanks,

john.

thanks,

John.

How does the 552 fit in the medium sized eargonizer bag(pegz-1 is one that i am thinking of) ?

In my current pegz-1 bag, the 442 is a little snug where the direct outs and the headphone connectors are.  On the 552 it looks like those connections have been moved further away from the front face of the mixer and better line up with the side entries of the eargonizer bag.  I could go to bigger bag but the next step up is too big for me at this time.

John,

The addition of the 5th fader caused everything on the top panel to move out to the edges a little more.  To accomodate all that hardware coming down from the top,  everything on the side panels had to shift down a little bit.  So, you are right, the HP outputs and the direct outs are not as close to the top edge as they were on the 442.

---Matt

after about 45 minutes, i have to say that SVEN is pretty difficult to understand. I've had to play things back up to 4 times before I have understood them correctly. I can see this being slightly problematic in the field with a bunch of distractions going on

I picked up my 552 yesterday. I couldn't forsee a situation where I would need to constantly fiddling with the menus in the field.

But you're right SVEN is a little hard to understand, especially the first menu item. It's nice SD thought to include those plasticized cards.

I'm still in awe of the ergonomics of this box... everything is so well layed out for field work.

Being in the process of writing a review of the 552 and having done some field recording/mixing with it, exploring various setups and modes of operation, I agree that SVEN is a good idea that needs some improvements regarding intelligibility. Things get a bit more complicated when you are not an English native-speaker because it gets difficult to use the process of inferring by selecting some phonemes (if this makes any sense).

And just to add a small correction: 552 does accept T-powered mics, you can select it in the setup menu with our friend SVEN. It seems however that you select it for all the mic pre´s without having the choice of 12v for some inputs and 48v for others.

And just to add a small correction: 552 does accept T-powered mics, you can select it in the setup menu with our friend SVEN. It seems however that you select it for all the mic pre´s without having the choice of 12v for some inputs and 48v for others.

The 552 does NOT provide T power.  The 12v setting available in the menu does the same thing as the beloved 12/48v switch on the side of the 442 -- sets the phantom power to 12v or 48v.

If a mic is 12v capable, you can save some battery draw.  If the mic isn't, it will likely still work but sound like crap or have a very low level until you figure out the 12/48 switch is in the wrong position.  No chance of that on the 552....

---Matt

I just sent this message to Sound Devices regarding our 552:

Our 552 was out in the field for the first time today and the " metalized, molded carbon fiber" bottom plate was very occasionally rubbing against a porta brace plastic belt buckle. Very very lightly - it was constantly being adjusted and the 552 was in a porta brace mixer case - so it was often just in passing.

It shows an amazing amount of wear for what amounted to about an hour of shooting. The 552 was carefully placed in an MXC442 (which is the exact same as the MXC552 save for a slot on the bottom to access the SD card.) It looks like the rough coating has come completely off.

What kind of wear can we expect for the life of the device. We're not in a panic, but we are concerned about longevity. See the the pictures attached (they don't do it justice.)

On a non-cosmetic front, the device is absolutely stellar for audio quality.

Anyone else experiencing cosmetic issues with the new graphite top and bottom panels?

post-2115-130815083453_thumb.jpg

post-2115-130815083458_thumb.jpg

Got an amazing and immediate response from SD.

Actually, I got: three emails and one phone call. I was on location all day working on a short documentary so I missed all of it.

But here is what happened:

1. They were aware of the issue.

2. They issued an RMA so that we could return the 552 whenever we're not using it.

3. Someone else (very nice) called saying not to send it back because they were working on a proper fix and they'll let us know when the fix is ready.

4. That same very nice person e-mailed a follow up.

WOW. Sound Devices (the company rocks).

More on the mixer should be said. While we were worried what would happen to it cosmetically over the course of several years, the rest of the mixer (all the important bits) has been a real joy to use.

- SVEN has become increasingly comprehensible, though I have not needed to rely on him at all during shooting.

- There has been some criticism regarding the 442's returns. I don't recall how I felt about those, having spent most of my time with a 302 before this. However, I can say that the 552's returns are wonderful. We're mostly using the 10-pin hirose cable Sound Devices sells to connect the mixer to the camera, and the quality was good and the levels were easy to match.

- The layout continues to impress. Everything is so well placed, and the fact that some functions take two simultaneous switch toggles is wonderful because it's almost impossible to change an important setting by accident. Every important function took no time to memorize and while I continue to gush with praise, it's warranted; this thing is such a joy to use. You don't have to think about much and it gets the work done.

Oh, and battery life remains impressive. Again I don't remember the 302, but compared to the FP33 that we had rented a week prior to taking delivery of the 552 (ouch)... well it's night and day.

I'm not very pleased with the Mixer Case from Porta Brace, but that's another story altogether.

Please keep us updated on the finish blemish problem..  I wonder if this is an issue with all of the current 552's or if it's an isolated cases?

Also, what's did you find to be flawed with the new Portabrace case?  mxc-552

I can't speak regarding the scope of the 552 blemish issue. From what I was told it was a "known" issue, but the degree to which it affects the 552's manufactured to date really isn't for me to guess at.

Regarding the Porta Brace case, I have the MXC-442 which is exactly the same (dimensions) with the exception of the flap to gain easy access to the SD card slot. We had to go with it because we couldn't get our hands on a MXC-552 and easy access to the SD slot wasn't a priority. We've been using the 552 pretty much daily since we took delivery.

I don't like the way it hangs (even though I have the harness and belt). The mixer leans the wrong way and so it hampers access to the controls. It should, in my opinion, hang completely vertical (or as close as possible depending on the belly ;) )  The little pouch on the front makes things worse (to an increasing degree as you put things in it) since it pushes the lower controls further into one's chest. It wouldn't be such an issue if the 552's facia wasn't so packed but that's not SD's fault, because if I rig the straps to pull the lower portion of the case towards my chest so that it hangs properly, it's not a problem.

It boils down to the position of the big rings used to clip onto straps/harnesses. Maybe the case is defective. One ring is certainly much farther back (relatively) than the other.

Hallo

if you need a really good soundbag, there is only one way. Custommade.

After a long time working with bags from portabrace, petrol, kata..... ,witch do not work well,

i was locking for a perfect bag.

In Berlin (Germany) i found a soundrentalhouse called `Kortwich Filmtontechnik`. One part of the company is working in custombuilding bags for every thing is need. Soundmixers, HD Recorders, Booms,....... . You can tell them what you need and they build it for you. Here is the link,  http://www.filmtontechnik.de/taschenanfertigung.html

At the moment i work with an SD 442 and SD 744 in one bag (a 552 is one my wish list). With space for 4 wireless and np power supply and i can remove the parts of the bag witch are don´t need at the time.

I can post a few pix later.

Send kortwich an e-mail if help is need.

greetings

Ralf

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the 552 has been out for about a month. How big of a SD card is a day turning out to be? 2,4,8 gb? What happens if you use a card up, starts recording over it's self? How do you know how full the card is?

Just wondering as I wait for mine to be built.

Have a look at this disc space calculator in the support pages Sound Devices has put together:

http://www.sounddevices.com/calculator/index.html

It answers card capacity questions. How much you record in a day is a question only you can answer.

Best regards,

Jim

Now that the 552 has been out for about a month. How big of a SD card is a day turning out to be? 2,4,8 gb? What happens if you use a card up, starts recording over it's self? How do you know how full the card is?

Just wondering as I wait for mine to be built.

The easy way to remember it is 1 gig per hour (48k, 24bit, 2 tracks)  An 8 gig card is, hopefully, way more than I will ever record in a day with the 552.

If you fill the card, recording stops.  You can press/hold the battery check button to give you a SVEN readout of time remaining on the card.  You will also get 15, 10, and 5 minute remain warnings.

---Matt