Aaton Cantar x in 2022

Jimbbobb

Hi 

I'm interested in acquiring an original cantar x and was wondering, if the hard drive was replaced, how reliable the machine would be. 

Any information regarding its reliability would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

James

I would argue the X1 and X2 are some of the most reliable and well made recorders ever. You can still get them serviced and they sound incredible.

Are they practical in 2022, not exactly - file writing speed is slow and track count is limited - but for 7 or less tracks I think it worth the money.

I say that owning an X1, and comparing it to my SD, Zaxcom and Nagra recorders.

What kind of work do you do?  How many tracks do you need?  What other features like Dante, outputs etc are important?  How do you deliver your files these days?  I bet with a good dose of checkout and service with a qualified tech the old Cantar will sound great, so you need to decide if it fits the sort of work you do now and the sort of work you want to do in the future.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I took the plunge on the x1 in the end. It was just too good a deal to miss out on. I've had experience with Zaxcom and Sound devices but the Cantar had always been the elusive one (to say the least) that I've always wanted to work with. 

In terms of hard drive replacement what do you recommend? If it doesn't have the compact flash bay is it something that can be replaced personally or was it something that Aaton did?

I'm someone who does a lot of scouring online for information but I have to say the Cantar is surprisingly difficult to find user information on.

Thanks again for the help.

While I haven’t used the X-1 or X-2, I do own the X-3 and X-3 Mini, and I have found the tech support from Aaton to be both timely and informative. They will be able to steer you in the right direction regarding hard drive replacement and CF bay.

Regards,

Moe

10 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Really?  That doesn't sound like Aaton....

Maybe a mix of the first Cantar being pre RoHS (ie- perhaps some parts weren't compliant), and Aaton being acquired by Transvideo 10ish years after the first Cantar was released? But that's just me guessing. Worth contacting Aaton (or a good dealer)....

• 11 months later...