Large $ purchase protection?

Mack

Does anyone use a third party when purchasing used stuff that is in the $1000's?   I am about to purchase some gear that seems completely legit but it's not chump change.   Wanted to know if there was some way to make sure that I don't get screwed by sending money for something that never comes.   He is too far away for me to drive.

No, I never have, although I have been tempted to on a few occasions. So far I‘ve been lucky. 
However, I only buy expensive gear from someone who is well-known either here or on Facebook in the relevant groups. If possible, I check any past sales and try to contact a previous buyer and I have also tried to ask other sound mixers in the area of the seller if they know the person. Oh, and real names only. If they go by „Tape2000“ around here, I won’t buy anything expensive from them. 

Yeah, what constantin said. Your not going to save any money buying used if you get taken for the item. PayPal isn’t fool proof and takes time to get money retrieved. Getting to know the seller and finding previous purchase history is your best bet. If they answer back quickly, legibly and make sense in what they are saying that is a good start but not a guarantee. I’ve joined other web forums and posted around to establish my credibility in order to make a purchase or sale. If it’s too good to be true “ buyer beware”. Worst case is you can ask them to put it up on eBay and pay the fee for peace of mind. Does the seller have a solid EBay rating? 

Just FYI if you do consider the Ebay route you might as well consider BBList. Basically you pay them and once they have received your full payment, they’ll tell the seller to ship your purchases. Once received you have a couple if days to check everything out and only then will they release the payment. 
they take 10%, I believe, plus sometimes a currency conversion fee. It’s similar to what Ebay takes, but much safer