888 - iCon Platfor 9-16 channels

humbuk

That's my thoughts as well. If you're a few feet away, don't use it. 

If you're dozens of feet away, then probably the grips nearby are making more noise while "quiet" as you roll, than your second bank of faders are. 

However, if you need to use 9-16 on a regular basis every day on a shoot, I would just purchase a second control surface! As you can connect more than one to your 888

So in a scene where you'd have to bank to channels 9-16, wouldn't the noise from all those 8 other actors or whatever overshadow the motorized faders? I struggle to find a scene that would require more than 8 channels of audio that were so silent that you couldn't make a tiny noise. I imagine a scene like that would have to be a big wide master shot or a walk and talk... But I might be wrong of course. I've complained about rack focus units making it in to the boom channel on very tight close ups, and no one in post ever noticed cus it was easy peasy to cut away. 

If you're planning on having one actor on fader 8 and the other on fader 9 and constantly need to switch between I can see an issue there. It can't be that bad, for the end product I mean, the other aspect is of course to not disturb people behind the camera concentrating, but I mean video village is often whispering things to eachother, taking notes clicking pens... The ratio between "Making my job easier" and "Making a small noise" might be worth it, if it helps you to get better mixes overall. 

I dunno. I think you'll be fine s'all

On 5/6/2022 at 11:50 AM, Matt Radlauer said:

You can also change the speed parameters of the fader moves.. Slowing them down makes them a bit quieter. Food for thought.. Also you could get ANOTHER icon and run them side by side.

Ohhhhhh.... good point about the adjustable speed! Thank you. 

I should change mine, as they're probably set to max speed because they snap into position pretty fast when I swap banks.