Power considerations for new Mix Pre 6 - 2 situations

Grant

I am curious to know if anyone has wrangled either of the following :

1. running a Sound Devices mixer with batteries based on the Canon BP series (BP-955 and the heftier BP-975) instead of the Sony L-series batteries specified in the power accessories listed by Sound Devices?

Nominally, the output looks very similar (7.2 V DC for Sony, 7.4 V for Canon). The reason I ask is that I have a lot of the Canon batteries on the shelf, rarely doing anything. May as well use'm if possible.

2. (this is the curly one) - Is there any way to be providing 12 - 14 volts to receivers at the audio bag? I have excellent DWR-series dual channel receivers for Sony slot-in camera applications. I have the appropriate break-out bracket the delivers audio via XLR instead of the multipin connector in the receiver base. The 12 volt DC issue is a hassle, but I would like to get these into the audio bag and available if possible. (it gives me another 4 wireless systems as a backup if needed).

Regarding question #2. I see a lot of people, usually using MixPre or Zoom recorders, trying everything in their power to not buy a Battery Distribution System (BDS) and use common broadcast batteries like eSmart or NP1 style batteries. Usually after configuring some such setup they eventually realize that whatever they’ve come up with is inadequate for their system, especially as they expand their bag, and have to go and buy a proper power setup anyways. I’d save myself the hassle of going through these steps and just get a purpose built BDS with broadcast batteries. 

PSC, Remote Audio, AudioRoot, Sound Guy Solutions, are all great companies that make excellent power solutions designed specifically for sound bags. 

The DWR-S02D series needs only 7 volts so the manual says. All slot in adapters like the DWA01 provide a step down to 7 volts to make that rx operate - so your bag would probably work without any 12 volts.

You could make a fitting sub d yourself ...

IronFilm, thanks again for the detailed gear list. A question on this - on the configuration of Hi-Q LiOn battery, MX Powersled, and Battery Bud II. Does the output from the 14.4 Li-ON battery go first to the Battery Bud II, or to the MX Powersled? I can only see a single Hirose connector on the Powersled, suggesting that it takes power in there, and thereby running the MixPre 6 II. If that's the case, then I don't see where the Battery Bud II will take power in. I suspect power needs to be regulated down to 7.2 V DC before being fed to the Battery Bud II, as I cannot find any specs that suggests it does this voltage regulation (apart from the separate issue of 5.0 V DC at the supplied USB port) - Grant.

The power from the battery goes first to the BDS (the Battery Bud II), then the BDS distributes power to everywhere else that needs it. (i.e. the mixer and receivers, plus whatever else might need power. For instance my picture monitors and control surface are also powered by my Battery Bud II)

Hence the name:

BDS = Battery Distribution System

9 hours ago, Grant said:

I suspect power needs to be regulated down to 7.2 V DC before being fed to the Battery Bud II

No, power goes directly from the eSmart battery to the BDS.

Battery Bud btw is just one of many different BDS you could choose from, is simply what I've got a couple of myself. There are others you could choose, such as this one with a pretty screen on it:

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/audioroot-esmart-bg-du/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 5:29 PM, IronFilm said:

Agreed, just get yourself a BDS and eSmart batteries. 

Here you go, here is everything you need:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1339761-REG/remote_audio_hiq98_hi_q_battery_with_98wh.html (get at least two)

Kind've related to this. Would one battery powering the mixpre, sr receiver, and a 411 last for one day (approx 12 hours)? Thanks!

On 5/3/2022 at 5:29 PM, IronFilm said:

3 hours ago, BBsound said:

Kind've related to this. Would one battery powering the mixpre, sr receiver, and a 411 last for one day (approx 12 hours)? Thanks!

You can do the math:

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-3-mixpre-6-maxbatteryruntime/#:~:text=The MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 at idle ( powered,microphones) consumes roughly 4 watts.

MixPre = 4 to 6 Watts

SRb = 1.5W (2.2W for the SRc)

UCR411 = 1.6W

https://www.lectrosonics.com/phocadownload/ucr411aman.pdf

All up we could say roughly 8W/hr?

8*12=96Wh

Thus yes, we could say that a 98Wh battery "should" last you a 12hr day. (although, cutting it a little close.... with only 2Wh spare, honestly depends on how much time spend rolling vs standing by, and if you power down for lunch / location moves / etc)

But I recommend getting two batteries, because even if your power demands was "only" say 40Wh for the day, it is still best to always have a spare!!

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

You can do the math:

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-3-mixpre-6-maxbatteryruntime/#:~:text=The MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 at idle ( powered,microphones) consumes roughly 4 watts.

MixPre = 4 to 6 Watts

SRb = 1.5W (2.2W for the SRc)

UCR411 = 1.6W

https://www.lectrosonics.com/phocadownload/ucr411aman.pdf

All up we could say roughly 8W/hr?

8*12=96Wh

Thus yes, we could say that a 98Wh battery "should" last you a 12hr day. (although, cutting it a little close.... with only 2Wh spare, honestly depends on how much time spend rolling vs standing by, and if you power down for lunch / location moves / etc)

But I recommend getting two batteries, because even if your power demands was "only" say 40Wh for the day, it is still best to always have a spare!!

Thank you so much for the very helpful insight. I should have definitely checked the user manuals for the numbers and done the math. And yes I agree, won't be risking it by only getting one battery!

Can confirm, I regularly get through long shooting days with a mp10tii + 1x SRc + 1x SRb on a single eSmart battery, even when it's cold out.

If I don't bother to turn anything off during lunch or long setups, sometimes I swap to a 2nd battery towards the end of the day. But usually I can last the full day with one.

On 5/18/2022 at 12:32 AM, BBsound said:

And yes I agree, won't be risking it by only getting one battery!

Math and expectations are often different than real life.

For a more power hungry bag system than yours, I run three 98 wH NP1 batteries. I have two more of those and seven older 68 wH Li NP1s for back-up. On a job last week (mass shooting in Buffalo, NY) I burned through the two 98 wH NP1s (#3 stays in the SL6 as a last ditch) in the first half of a 22 hour work day and had no time or facilities to begin charging them for the following 19 hour day. I will probably pick up two more 98wH batteries.

Always have more batteries than you will ever need or think you will ever need.

Cheers,

Tim

10 hours ago, Tim Norris said:

Math and expectations are often different than real life.

Always have more batteries than you will ever need or think you will ever need.

I agree. Everything works smoothly until that day you are working in freezing conditions (which drastically reduce battery life) and the accommodation you're staying in gets a power cut (or an idiot PA unplugs your charger to make midnight coffee, or any of a million other reasons), then you'll be super glad you've got two or three more eSmart batteries than you ever thought you'd need!

On 5/20/2022 at 8:00 AM, codyman said:

That does not appear to be legal nor healthy at all!

Not to worry... plenty of nap time in my comfy climate controlled car.

Been doing these occasional long days for nearly 40 years.

I can sleep anywhere, anytime.

Cheers,

Tim