Moving to the US and joining the Union

Fredrik W

Hey everybody!

I am currently planning to move to Los Angeles in the coming years with my American wife (currently living in Europe). I've worked as a boom-operator for eight years and would love to continue working in the US. I read that I need 100 days of non-union work before I can join the Local 695. Does anyone have any experience with coming from abroad and joining the Union? Any chance to count my years of experience from abroad?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

I'd doubt your work abroad would count as the union is going to want to have proof of productions and the easiest way to do that is to produce paystubs from W2's and 1099's of work that is eligible (internet shorts etc don't count - have to be stuff in theaters / television / streamers).

More information here: https://www.local695.com/why-how-to-join-iatse/

• 4 weeks later...

Dont join the Union unless you have to.

You can work on a Union job for 30 days without joining, or work non Union jobs for 30 days to get roster experience.

Get on the roster (it costs nothing), but do not join (dont pay the initiation or dues). When a Union job comes up, you can say yes, Im in the union. 

Once you're on the roster, joining the Union is just a matter of handing money over.

Money

You will be paying a union while not working union jobs.

If you are in the union, working non-union jobs is frowned upon by the union.

Do this for the time being. Once complete, the union will invite you to join, but you can wait to join until offered a union job.

https://www.csatf.org/rosters-lists/industry-experience-roster/

Here is another Pro.

Say you get a job on a non union "reality" show, and 4 days into the shoot, the crew brings in the union

to organize. Sign the card the union gives you to add your name to organize. If the union is successful, you can negotiate to wave the intiation

fee, and 30 days without dues. Its an opportunity for them to sign on a new member.

The worst scenario is you pay the initiation, and ask to spread out the payments over 90 days.

I forget how much the the fee is now $3000.00?