Low Profile Mic for Very Low Ceiling Submarine Sets

Brian Milliken

Hi All

I am about to start a shoot "The Deep" for the BBC here in the UK, a lot of it is set in Submarines/Submersibles all these sets have virtually no ceiling height so I am anticipating a lot of Radio Mic usage, however I am seeking advice on the best low profile Boom rig, I was thinking about the Schoeps CCM 4 in a Cinela Mount, if anyone has any experience of this rig or a rig that they would recommend I would be delighted to hear from you.

Kindest Regards

Brian

post-71-130815083056_thumb.jpg

So what to go for MK 4 or MK 41, I like the wide pattern of the Senn MKH 40 which I have used many times successfully, which capsule better matches it.

Brian

I would go with a MK 41 (hypercardioid) Schoeps and a GVC (swiveling 90), small shockmount (Invision or other). This will give you very low profile, I have used this setup many times, and when you don't need the extra low profile you still have a "full size" microphone. If you prefer the sound of Sennhesier, the 8050 (or 8040?) is already a very small profile microphone (read Glen Trew's report on the new Rycote/Senn. setup for this mic).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I've got a ccm 41 in a Rycote mount that is one circle with a clip in the middle suspended by 4 rubber hoops which clips onto the middle of the mic and creates a very short footprint. Even shorter than the Cinela. Have a furry from a Rycote lavalier wind jammer on the end as you can't get a foam w/s on it due to the clip mounting around the mic body and not the lemo.

Hi Brian,

The rig in your photo is low profile, all right, but I think it is actually a little larger overall profile than a CMC6 body with MK-41 capsule and GVC swivel, making it even better for low ceilings, doorways, and the occasional torpedo tube. The trick is to make sure your suspension can tilt enough so that the body of the mic is completely parallel with the boom pole. The PSC Universal mount can tilt this way, and so can the Rycote Invision. However, the PSC mount will actually reduce the profile by about 1/2-inch more compared to the Rycote Invision. The Rycote Invision is a more sophisticated isolation suspension, but the PSC and Schoeps combo keeps handling noise manageable. Just be sure to give at least one of the PSC O-rings a twist to keep the mic from twisting.

The GVC swivel will hold up just fine with normal movement of the mic. If you get a used swivel that is a little loose, there is a screw under the cap that can tighten the slip joint.

Best,

Glen Trew

I understand Jeff from previous post that with the right mount and Boom Op your personal preference is not to use the CUT 1 indoors, with that in mind what is the best Foam Gag to use, I read a previous thread on this but it was kind of inconclusive.

Brian

With all of the short Schoeps Don and I have used basically 4 foam-type windscreens depending on the conditions. 1- very small foam teardrop, 2- normal size foam teardrop (hollow - a true Schoeps windscreen), 3- round foam ball (either the hollow one from Schoeps or normal solid foam from Sennheiser), 4- ball-cage style windscreen, round, with furry cover (this Schoeps combination is surprisingly effective even outdoors).

(and incidentally, we have used the CUT-1 on occasion with these windscreen choices)

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

For run-n-gun type use -- like trying to maneuver the passageways of a sub -- along with the GVC swivel, I'd strongly recommend the addition of a Cut 1.

In the hands of an experienced boom op, the Cut 1 may not be necessary but if you're mixing, swinging a boom, and moving all at the same time, I'd definitely recommend it.

John B.

My ccm 41 really hears it's own cable so I've put a couple of loops in and cable tied each loop to the frame of the Rycote which has dramatically reduced the handling noise. When I got it the rubber rings where doubled up and where tight and loosening them quietened it down a lot too. I guess the invision is a loose suspension with a low resonance.

I got a Schoeps suspension with the rubber mount and apart from casting less shadows, I don't rate it. It's not low profile depth wise either.

Something like this looks interesting, never used it, but happened upon it while looking for something else...

MicroBoom-on-pedestal-stand.jpg&w=300&h=300

It comes in a 4' or 7' length.

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/products/MicroBoom.shtml

The M1255B capsule is designed for "distance micing" and has a hyper capsule

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/products/M1255B.shtml

In tight sub quarters, a boom longer than several feet would be pretty unwieldy, and this is light enough that it could be quickly jammed or velcro'd to an overhead or bulkhead.  Last time I was on an Ohio class sub, I think I slept for about 48 hours straight, I just remember it being incredibly comfortable knowing that no one could come down and wake me up.  There is summing about the hum of nuclear machinery that is soothing.

• 5 years later...

HI , THE BEST MICROPHONE SHOCK MOUNT FOR LOW PROFILE WORK, IS THE PSC/MCDONALD UNIVERSAL MOUNT. THIS MOUNT HAS BEEN RECENTLY UPGRADED TO THE PSC/MCDONALD M5 PRO, WHICH INCORPERATES BUILT IN CEILING BUMPERS AND FOLDS PARELLEL WITH THE BOOM POLE, ALLOWING FOR USE WITH THE SCHOEPS GVC SWIVEL, PROVIDING THE LOWEST PROFILE CONFIGURATION POSSIBLE, WHILE STILL RETAINING ALL OF THE SUPERIOR SUSPENSION AND ISOLATION PROPERTIES OF THIS MOUNT IN IT'S MORE CONVENTIONAL CONFIGURATION. RANDO MAC

I've used setup like Mr Marts many times with success.  Your boomie will have to be more careful than usual becasue the added weight of the GVC will make the mic flop around a bit more in the mount.  The also have to be more concious of holding the mic in correct position since in the side-mount config wants to flip sideways.  Having done this rig a lot I can say that you won't want to use it except when you really have to...

I know this thread is several years old.

Since then, Cinela released an even smaller mount for the Schoeps CCM series, The Minix. I believe it to be the smallest mount available for the Schoeps CCM, and there's a variant for the Sennheiser 8000 series available as well.

post-1504-0-33996800-1423908604_thumb.jp