Low Profile Mic for Very Low Ceiling Submarine Sets

Brian Milliken

I have the CCM41 and minix as pictured above,   it's a beautiful thing.  I have it with the b5d windsock.  it's also a beautiful thing. 

They have an even smaller (hollow windsock) called the http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/b1d    it effects frequency response slightly (very slightly) more than b5d, but like 1/4 inch more low profile.

You could also detach the capsule of the CMK41 combo use it with the active cable. I dare say that's lower profile than the CCM41. You could still even add the gvc to that and use that with the Invision mounts Peter was listing above.

Keep the preamp at the end of the boom or even in your bag. Lighter on the boom, too

You could even get the CCM41 V or MK41V capsule for side address. That way, the eintire rig would be as low profile as your boom and the mic mount.

Ive heard someone mention that they used an Earthworks mic for this sort of job. I am not sure about which model exactly, but you can see that they have some interesting options:

http://www.earthworksaudio.com/studio/

Maybe someone else who remembers which thread that's in can chime in.

I recently tested a couple earthworks mic, including a periscope version. They were OK IMO. I found them a bit bright and thin, with a subdued low mid. I much preferred the sound of the sennheisers and schoeps that I compared them to.

DPA also makes a low profile series that would work well in this situation.

I know this thread is several years old.

Since then, Cinela released an even smaller mount for the Schoeps CCM series, The Minix. I believe it to be the smallest mount available for the Schoeps CCM, and there's a variant for the Sennheiser 8000 series available as well.

they are great,  very slim line and fits perfect