CA Milk Commercials to Film in New Zealand

Richard Lightstone, CAS

The board is filming a portion of its new "Auditions" campaign on a sound stage in New Zealand.  These new commercials feature UN-happy cows from all over the world auditioning to come to beautiful California.

They couldn't figure out a way to film unhappy cows in California? Morons.

This is a lot of bull... (whoops, too easy a joke!)

--Marc W.

Just an alteration pointed out to me by one of my more learned colleagues...

There are no tax breaks for screen production in NZ. The Large Budget Grant Scheme is a cash grant that has nothing to do with the tax system. The threshold to receive the grant is NZ$15M expenditure in New Zealand.

Thanks Dave,

BVS

Guest Ken Mantlo

RVD's  reply that he recieved from the milk board is pretty much word for word what they put in the letters to the editor in the LA Times.

I've got to say to those that were complaining about the truth in advertising, isn't this what you wanted?  According to the ad campaign, they have to go outside of CA to find discontented cows that want to be contented California cows.

" It's time to set the record straight, ... ABC &, and the Los Angeles Times, which originated the story, misreported Friday that the California Milk Advisory Board is filming new "Happy Cow" commercials in New Zealand.  This is completely untrue. ... Four days of work on the new Auditions campaign will be filmed in New Zealand "

the person(s) who wrote this is getting paid way too much!

" saving money by shooting these commercials in New Zealand "

this is where creative accounting comes in!

all the expenses mentioned are not included in the calculations, only the bid from the CA facility is being compared to the bid of the NZ facility, and If I was on the board, or at the agency, and wanted to go to NZ (again), I'd find an expensive CA facility to bid, against a hungry facility down under...

I'd bet there have even been scouting trips to find that NZ facility, and make certain it can handle the bull-shit, er, cow manure, and encouraged them to make certain they came in cheaper...

BTW, the Regent of Auckland was my favorite... and right around the corner from "The White Lady"...

How come they're not looking for happy cows in Wisconsin, could it be that it's cold there and not as exotic?

Eric

'Cause you don't get to go to New Zealand (admittedly one of the nicest places on the planet), don't get about 25,000 frequent flyer miles, etc. when you shoot in Wisconsin. I'm betting that a minimum of 20 folks from the California Milk Board's ad agency will have to go for creative reasons.

Best regards,

Jim

• 6 months later...

Legislation is being voted on  "to require that California state agencies, commissions or departments  shoot commercials inside the California if they are promoting  California products with public funds."  The bill passed in the Assembly and is now moving to the Senate.

See: http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/05/25/1945299_the-buzz-happy-cows-grounded-after.html#ixzz0qHFCdFkV