Help with Field Recording Configuration

timeforest

I’m having a tough time settling on a configuration for an archival field recording project.

Some context: currently my only recording gear is a D100 and a pair of LOM Usis. 

Use case: recording ambiences for an acoustic ecology project (and, as a secondary, as textures and samples for musique concrete compositions). 

I’ve been going over and over ORTF vs M/S and I think I’ve decided on the former. Budget is capped at $5000. Right now I’m considering: 2x MKH8040, Cinela Albert, and a Mixpre 2 but reading about handling problems and general gripes about the 8040s has me a bit concerned. Renting in my area isn’t really an option. 

Would love some suggestions and feedback :)

Thanks much 

Hi Timeforest,

5k is a decent budget for a stereo rig that many even here might wish for. Personally I bought my 8040 pair as soon as they came out and I have no issues with them (my fig 8 Schoeps being more susceptible to handling). In fact, after a DPA 4060 pair, they are what I use most for stereo FX and ambience recording. Once in a decent mount there is no problem with the low end / handling. The MKH series in general are pretty much 'bulletproof' in the field against bad conditions, especially humidity. The only thing I might throw into the arena apart from commending your choice is considering omni mics against cardioid for "an acoustic ecology project" but if I was going to purchase a 'general purpose' high quality pair of mics I would (and did) opt for the cardioids.

Jez Adamson

8040s are great. Mixpres are adequate, though you could pick up a used 702 or 722 for less. You do need to consider all the other stuff tho, which includes power, and all the accessories. But your budget should allow for all that if you’re resourceful. 

Is handling noise really a concern for ambiance recording?

Normally I would set the mics up on a stationary stand somewhere and let them roll for awhile, if possible after walking away (so you don’t get human breaths or movement in the recordings). 

For recording ambiance’s I’d also recommend spaced Omni’s instead of a cardioid-based stereo technique. Techniques like ORTF, MS, and NOS are fantastic if you are focusing on a source that is in front of the mic, like recording a musical ensemble, or recording sound effects. However for ambiances your source is 360° around you, so omnis will give you a more spacious, enveloping sound IMO. MKH8020’s are fantastic, and I also really like the Sony ECM100N at a lower price point. Both have extended high frequency responses up to (I believe) 50kHz. 

You’ll definitely need to invest in good wind protection too, so figure that into the budget. Omnis are a little more forgiving than cardioids in that respect but still need good protection.  

-Mike

Hey, you definitely made the right choice picking ORTF against MS. MS is quite blurry in the rendition of space, To me it is more the feeling of a spacial soundscape than an immersive rendition.

you should try as best as possible to listen before you buy. Because in your budget you can definitely be picky and choose according to your own taste.

I personally prefer the good old Schoeps ortf (with 2 mk4 or wider) over any other, and not crazy about the Sennheiser 8040. Try Dpa as well, now that they make modular and short body. With these 3 you will already have a hard time choosing but it is worth it because they are all great AND all different so it really is a matter of personal taste at that level.

I concur with all other advices given here regarding accessories. Add a good earphone! Again a matter of taste and a topic on its own.

I've worked with MK4 in the Albert (older model with acryl(?) skeleton) on a boom, because there was no point to carry an extra tripod into nature. 

On the show I am currently on, there is an MKH8040 pair in a Rycote WS, stationary on the sound cart. The WS is infamous for resonating handling noises, but it works and 8040 sound excellent, if you only operate stationary. 

23 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

Is handling noise really a concern for ambiance recording?

Normally I would set the mics up on a stationary stand somewhere and let them roll for awhile, if possible after walking away (so you don’t get human breaths or movement in the recordings). 

There are situations/locations/conditions, where you can't or don't want to use a stand, especially when nature is involved or hiking is required. 

1 hour ago, DanieldH said:

because there was no point to carry an extra tripod into nature. 

I've seen a few field recordists use the Manfrotto Nanopole for their trips. It's a pretty light-weight stand with an integrated boom so you can just dettach the feet. I think it's originally meant to be used by photographers. I haven't tried it myself and don't do a lot of field recording but it seems like a pretty handy tool especially when travelling.

EDIT: Apparently some of the Manfrotto lightstands are also called Nanopole but that's not what I meant. The one I saw people use is the MS0490c I believe.

Jepp, I thought about the Nanopole (carbon version) and might even get one eventually. You won't put that on slopes, the wadden sea, thicket or in significant wind though. I am not mainly a nature recordist but a filmsound guy. So I usually have a boom around and it was the easiest to just use that.

5 hours ago, Sebi said:

I've seen a few field recordists use the Manfrotto Nanopole for their trips. It's a pretty light-weight stand with an integrated boom so you can just dettach the feet. I think it's originally meant to be used by photographers. I haven't tried it myself and don't do a lot of field recording but it seems like a pretty handy tool especially when travelling.

EDIT: Apparently some of the Manfrotto lightstands are also called Nanopole but that's not what I meant. The one I saw people use is the MS0490c I believe.

The MS0490c is very lightweight/flimsy and the removable boompole is not great (compared to a proper boompole). For field recording when hiking, I have found the Nano Plus Stand 5002BL much more use: a little heavier (1.35kg), but so much stronger (4kg payload vs 1.5kg) and more solid, and still fits in a smallish backpack (almost identical closed length).

Cheers,

Roland

1 hour ago, timeforest said:

Thanks sincerely for the thoughts thus far. I think Ive settled on doing the 8040 pair. 

Now my question is: should i shell out for the Cinela Albert or go with the Rycote WS AE ORTF kit? Seems to be about $500 difference. 

Normally I would not recommend the 8040‘s based purely on my personal taste. But for ambiances, especially really quiet ones, the 8040 or 8020 would be you quietest and most suitable  choice. 
Regarding your wind protection question: without a doubt, out of those two, pick the Cinela. It is worth every penny of the difference between those two. Even in a stationary situation 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We use the Manfrotto Nano stands a lot in the field, but I’ve never seen one with an integrated boom. I don’t see one in the catalog or on B&H. I wonder if it was an older discontinued version? If such a thing does exist, I’d love to know about it, because it would be perfect for our mkh8000 series mics.

On 5/15/2022 at 2:34 PM, Throwback said:

The MS0490c is very lightweight/flimsy and the removable boompole is not great (compared to a proper boompole). For field recording when hiking, I have found the Nano Plus Stand 5002BL much more use: a little heavier (1.35kg), but so much stronger (4kg payload vs 1.5kg) and more solid, and still fits in a smallish backpack (almost identical closed length).

Cheers,

Roland

One thing to note about the Rycote WS AE is that it allows you to quickly transition from an mkh30/40 mid side rig to a pair of mkh8040 in ORTF very quickly. You simply loosen the two knurled plastic set screws, at the bottom of the windshield, slide out the complete handle with the 30/40, replace with the ORTF 8040s, and tighten the set screws. Same windshield works for both and transitioning takes just a minute. And carrying the extra handle with the 8040s all set up and ready to go is not at all burdensome. I just wrap the whole thing in a big Domke wrap, and keep it in my ThinkTank.

in our case, we’re doing music and video recording In faraway places, so weight and bulk are limited. A separate windshield for the m/s vs the ORTF rig would not be possible. With the Rycote, we can be outside run/gun with the mid side rig, then quickly transition when an ORTF rig is better suited…quiet ambiance, larger ensembles  in a good acoustic, etc. having the m/s and ORTF rigs in an assembly, complete with handle is very convenient. For example, you’re recording in a church in a tropical environment. You’re ok in the morning with bare mics until the heat builds up. So you open the doors. Next, the wind comes up, blows though the church, and the foamies aren’t cutting it. You can slide the WS AE right over the mics without even dismounting them from the stand, regardless of which array your using.

The Cinelas have many benefits, but the Rycote WS AE does offer excellent utility:

We have just gotten a Cinela Cosi L, which can fit our DPA 4017, the Sanken CMS-50 m/s mic, and the mkh50. Switching is very quick, if you have the right adapter for each mic. Could be a nice solution! No ORTF, but it means you can boom in or outdoors with the 4017, and having stereo capability with you is just a matter of having the little CMS-50 stashed in the bag. It doesn’t sound as good as the mkh30/40 obviously, and it’s no replacement for a pair of 8040 in ORTF, but hey, it’s stereo in a pinch when you need it but didn’t think you would. ;)

On 5/17/2022 at 8:54 AM, Constantin said:

Normally I would not recommend the 8040‘s based purely on my personal taste. But for ambiances, especially really quiet ones, the 8040 or 8020 would be you quietest and most suitable  choice. 
Regarding your wind protection question: without a doubt, out of those two, pick the Cinela. It is worth every penny of the difference between those two. Even in a stationary situation 

11 hours ago, bwanajim said:

We use the Manfrotto Nano stands a lot in the field, but I’ve never seen one with an integrated boom. I don’t see one in the catalog or on B&H.

This one, I use it for field recordings, but i thought it could be handy to quickly have a spare boom pole. not the best pole, but handy as a spare: https://www.manfrotto.com/nl-en/carbon-nanopole-stand-ms0490c/

Here in the field with a Sanken cms-50 -> F3 Setup. Quick and dirty yet high quality atoms recording setup:
image.png

• 6 months later...
On 8/14/2023 at 9:01 AM, Vincent R. said:

This one, I use it for field recordings, but i thought it could be handy to quickly have a spare boom pole. not the best pole, but handy as a spare: https://www.manfrotto.com/nl-en/carbon-nanopole-stand-ms0490c/

Here in the field with a Sanken cms-50 -> F3 Setup. Quick and dirty yet high quality atoms recording setup:
image.png

How did you hook up that F3 to the pistol grip exactly? Can't quite make it out on the photo. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, flohma said:

How did you hook up that F3 to the pistol grip exactly? Can't quite make it out on the photo. Thanks. 

I used this mini clamp, just because I had it laying around. Clamped to the pistolgrip.
image.png