URSA Foamies shield

Lucas

Dear All, 

I'm an avid user of Ursa Foamies. 

Since they often have a short lifespan, I made a small shield to protect them from all the tape abuse. 
Also it works very well in thicker fabrics and jackets and it gives a fair bit of isolation. 

foamy users.jpg

Although it is starting to look a bit bulky, I do like the windcover potential, and the distancing of mic head from clothing. 

Looks like it could be a useful tool in certain situations.

Damn! I need to get myself a 3D printer! 

I might as well post the file here. 

My recommendation is to smoothen the surface after printing. 
Also insert mic (Cos-11) into Foamie first and after that slide it in the cover.
Curious to hear your impressions after testing. 

all the best, 

Lucas

foamy v3_dik.stl

• 1 month later...

I went for it and had A friend of mine print me a bunch and for my personal workflow these are absolutely perfect! They are not for every Mike placement but definitely another tool to deploy when needed. I had great success with collared button up shirts and polos using these. In the past I used to use a combo of make up sponge moleskin and toupee tape for starchy shirt applications to create this same idea and as I had suspected these are a third of the size. I used these with DPA 6060s And the mike stays tightly  suspended and fully shock absorbed inside with much less transference vs ursa mounts alone. I use a single piece of toupee tape for the slimmest footprint for its size but can definitely be used with moleskin as needed. This was my first attempt at 3-D printing gadgetry and I really appreciate you posting the file it worked perfect for him to print from. 

4CAE7C76-DAB5-4808-A141-594D24BBE553.jpeg

Hi Osa, 
It is good to see some prints finding their way into the field. 
Also nice to hear that you have had a good first impression. Hopefully this combo will help you in many scenario's to come!

I might do a smaller version for the mini foamies at some point, I'll post them here when it's done. 

On 6/30/2022 at 10:06 PM, Lucas said:

Hi Osa, 
It is good to see some prints finding their way into the field. 
Also nice to hear that you have had a good first impression. Hopefully this combo will help you in many scenario's to come!

I might do a smaller version for the mini foamies at some point, I'll post them here when it's done. 

Thank you so much!  I think we’re gonna print a few.  I appreciate your work, thank you for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/12/2023 at 1:52 AM, igomarsound said:

will definitely print that as well. thanks a lot.

Also interested to know if there's a mini foamies version

There is, but I haven't printed and tested it myself. But feel free to try! I'd be happy to hear any feedback..

!!! I've taken down the file because it was a bit to big, will upload updated version soon. !!!

Edited by Lucas
I took the file down

• 3 months later...
On 7/18/2023 at 4:36 AM, Lucas said:

There is, but I haven't printed and tested it myself. But feel free to try! I'd be happy to hear any feedback..

mini foamy shield v4.stl 159.46 kB · 3 downloads

Happy to report I have my first batch of this new version for the 6060 microphones and going to put to the test on a bunch of interviews today. A friend of mine printed them out for me and the process he used to make this batch turned out a lot smoother without print lines. My apologies I don’t know enough about 3-D printing to speak to how he technically made them but confirming this .STL worked perfect for him to print from. Now I’m curious if they could be made even slightly smaller because the 6060 specific foam was a bit loose inside so I ended up using 4060 foamies and they feel much more secure yet still mobile in the suspension to do the job. The ones on the right are the 4060 versions so definitely smaller with these newly printed 6060 versions.

4602DCDE-49A9-4FF7-843E-3A7879CE7C61.jpeg

Good to hear you got the smaller version printed. If you can provide me a more specific description or picture I'm happy to adjust the design. 

As for windprotection, I've experimented with these two options:

If you use a 6060 in a Bubblebee Windbubble (smallest) it fits into the shield and stays fairly secure. Pull the mic a bit to the top op the opening for best sound. 

Another way is to put a sticky with a hole and put a small wig on top of the shield. 

If you have found/tried other ways I'd love to hear it. 

IMG_20231109_105320.jpg

windbubble.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 9:41 AM, osa said:

. Now I’m curious if they could be made even slightly smaller because the 6060 specific foam was a bit loose inside

I ran into the same issue of wanting a more snug fit.  I had one of my son’s friends with a 3D printer modify the stl file into several smaller versions. I now have a bunch that I have been using almost exclusively.  It’s still a bit on the bulky side but eliminates almost all clothing rustle.  It has quickly become my go to rig with my DPAs.

9 hours ago, Phillip C Dent said:

I ran into the same issue of wanting a more snug fit.  I had one of my son’s friends with a 3D printer modify the stl file into several smaller versions. I now have a bunch that I have been using almost exclusively.  It’s still a bit on the bulky side but eliminates almost all clothing rustle.  It has quickly become my go to rig with my DPAs.

I 2nd this. When the wardrobe is multilayered and typically challenging - this rig with dpa lavs is so clean it is like following talent with a close boom

it is a delicate balance with the foamies for sure - too loose and the mic slips out. Too tight and the foamie is so compacted it loses its isolation effect and transfers all the noise