Foam windshield.

simon forbes

Hi Folks,

Unusually for me, a location recordist, I've been booming by hand in a studio a bit lately and I'm wondering about swapping the rycote zeppelin I normally use, with the foam windshield that came with my MKH414 when I bought it but still use the suspension mount from the zeppelin. It seems like you'd need to squash the foam or modify it to get it into the cradle though. I don't anticipate needing this capability a lot going forward, so probably wouldn't buy a whole different mount that accommodates the foam thingy, but I'd be willing to modify it to suit if there's a way that folks have found successful?

All the best

Simon.

I am not sure, what setup you have. I'd suggest you post a foto or a model number, but if I understand correctly:

you can make a slit in the foam of your 416(?) where the front lyre (or rubber ring suspended clip?) fits. BTW, the original Sennheiser foams start to crumble at some point and there are cheap 3rd party foams that work well.

Covering the interference slits was never a great idea, but industry standard maybe for decades, as only (?) Rycote and Sennheiser provided "Zeppelins" back in the days with clips suspended on rubber rings that needed to cover some slits and that was not a deal breaker for 416 operation. Most Zeppelins in ENG and film school kits I came across in the 2000s had a crumbling foam, permanently on the mic, with either clips or lyres at the slits for quick outdoor indoor changes. Handling noise and zeppelin resonances included. The 416 is a heavy beast after all. The way Simon mounts it hardly covers the slits but a foam with a slit won't cover complety. I'd guess, either way may not be perfect, but not that relevant. And yes, there are quite relevant reasons to use a different shotgun and a different wind protection, today. However, Simon, you did not ask where to throw money at, but you might want to check out / ask your dealer, if using the stiffer grey lyres or a duo lyre at the end of the mic would prevent the foam hitting the rail.

22 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

You can move the Lyres closer together so they don’t cover up the interference tube and allow the foam to be used. 

-Mike

Yep try moving the front lyre clip to here just behind interference slots as those look like the newer clips, or worst-case you can replace with heavy duty lyres

A15B6A39-873D-4D64-BCB0-823DE31E14E0.jpeg