Boom operators - Cool photos

RPSharman

You win Crew.  Besides micing a person in an enclosed Helmet with an overhead boom.  With her bright clothing on a pitch black set she would also be reflected perfectly in that position in the spherical glass visor of the Astronaut.

A perfect lesson on what not to do when booming on a real set.

• 2 weeks later...

The next thing I noticed, is that it appears that the boom operator has a video monitor, I imagine velcroed, to his left wrist, and there does appear to be a wire off of that device.

I'm sorry I don't know the gentleman's name, but I like the shot.

The monitor on the wrist sounds like an amazing idea.

According to IMDb, the boom operator for Lucy was Lionel Dousset.

attachicon.gifHigh Noon-1952.jpg

- from "High Noon", 1952

Looks like the fishpole is a piece of lead pipe with a rather heavy microphone on the end.

(and no, I was not the mixer on this one)

Jeff,

I'm fairly confident that the mic is an AKG D25. I still have one but sadly I don't have the wind-gag. The gag was perfectly round about nine inches in diameter.

While a little monitor attached to you or the pole seems like a good idea, it's very easy to get caught looking at it and miss critical things happening in the space around the image. Extras crossing underneath, off camera actor standing up who happens to be sitting under the pole, missing an ad-lib or a change in pacing indicated by body language, etc. I had a wrist monitor for a day before getting rid of it.

A little monitor to keep an eye on framing during or between setups/takes could be helpful, but most mixers should be able to warn boom ops of the operator pulls out or zooms in unexpectedly.

Very cool photo.

Robert

While a little monitor attached to you or the pole seems like a good idea, it's very easy to get caught looking at it and miss critical things happening in the space around the image. Extras crossing underneath, off camera actor standing up who happens to be sitting under the pole, missing an ad-lib or a change in pacing indicated by body language, etc. I had a wrist monitor for a day before getting rid of it.

Seems to me that the boom operator in the picture is definitely focusing on what he has in front (the action / scene). My assumption is that he uses the small monitor just to keep check on his frame line. I think it's especially useful when camera does not stay still.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be using the Teradek Clip on my next show to send video to my iPod touch with a battery I'm my pocket and cable running out of sleeve. Works well to get a look at framing before, but using it during takes is helpful as well, but obviously not as a primary source.

• 1 month later...

post-1223-0-62156800-1412460879_thumb.jp

Lorenzo Millan, mixer on "House of Cards", booming, We were selling something. Can't remember what.

post-1223-0-08681600-1412461056_thumb.jp

Len Schmitz booming, me wearing a bag. Selling something for Verizon.

post-1223-0-47039100-1412461642_thumb.jp

Len Schmitz booming on the final season of "The West Wing."

post-1223-0-68018900-1412461822_thumb.jp

Maryland Lottery spot, Lorenzo Millan standing by.

post-1223-0-67894800-1412461925_thumb.jp

Carol Everson flip-phoning me between setups. We were selling insurance.