Boom operators - Cool photos

RPSharman

this was in Zurich, Switzerland.

Hosted by 'Focal', a Swiss foundation for training professionals (mostly freelancers) in the cinema business. It was a 5 days workshop for booming - starting with some exercises with a flashlight mounted on the pole instead of a mic and ended with the production of a few very tricky film scenes...

In the end everyone has learned at least this: practice is everything!   http://www.focal.ch/E/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

tree-boom.jpg?w=250&h=250

uncropped of my profile/getting fidgety during a stupid long doc shot. 

waterproofing-e1381878020437.jpg?w=250&h

Working on a month long kayaking documentary off the grid on the Green and Colorado rivers is an excellent crash course in waterproofing. No gear was harmed in the filming of this production.  If anyone needs wild noise of rapids, let me know.

• 2 months later...

This thread is epic! Thought I'd share a pair.  First one is me beheading the DP (what better use for a boom is there?).  Second is crew photo from same gig (the DP somehow miraculously survived).   :-(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's the longest K-tek, it's 20'11" (6.3m) fully extended. Useful in those kinda situations

What mic is on top? And do I see a plug-on?

Wondering how you get it to bend so little - my 20' K-Tek bends more even with a KM185 and PTX when at full length.

What mic is on top? And do I see a plug-on?

Wondering how you get it to bend so little - my 20' K-Tek bends more even with a KM185 and PTX when at full length.

I had a Sanken Cs1e (no schoeps because it was heated room so very humid) and you are right it was a Lectro HM. I also use Cinela mounts, so all that helps reduce weight

It's the longest K-tek, it's 20'11" (6.3m) fully extended. Useful in those kinda situations

I use this pole from time to time - yeah, it's difficult to wield when fully extended - even with something light on the end. The good news is that though it's internally cabled, the cable is straight (not coiled) thankfully. It's rare that one needs a pole of that length these days, but it's sure nice to know you have it when you need it.

(place innuendo jokes here)

~tt

O.K. What's wrong with this picture?

The attached is from a currently running Advil commecial about pain relief and features a boom person using the product to alleviate her pain on those long 16 hour days.   They probably should have hired a sound mixer as a consultant so they wouldn't setup such a stupid shot.

post-230-0-95041300-1405436565_thumb.jpg