Sound Cart - Graham Gardner

graham

Nice. Thats the Rock N Roller R12 right? Thats the cart I'm getting tomorrow. Well I'm ordering it tomorrow.

Nicole

Hey, Nicole, why THE BIG BOLD face print recently? I don't really mind it but when I first see it it makes me think there is something wrong. I really don't think anything is needed to call attention to your posts --- almost everybody here looks at or reads just about everything.

-  Jeff Wexler

Nice. Thats the Rock N Roller R12 right? Thats the cart I'm getting tomorrow. Well I'm ordering it tomorrow.

Nicole

nicole,  word of advice about the rock n roller - you'll need some big washers for the front wheels to prevent the air valves from getting damaged (potentially ripped out by the forks).  when putting it together, you'll see what i'm talking about.

-greg-

Thats correct Nicole. All inputs are fed to a patch panel which splits to the ULN-8 and the 744t(for backup). All mixing and DSP(eq and limiters)are done digitally in the ULN. The bcf2000 plugs into the midi on the ULN or can go into computer via usb. Using Metric Halo MIO console, I create a mixer that suites the needs of whatever project I'm on. I have 8 isos and a mono or stereo mix track(routed to boomrecorder) and up to 8 analog outputs with different mixes for vtr, boom op(s), ifb, etc.

Previously, I had the wireless inside the 12u rack case. Now i have them in a separate rack and can easily remote them with a canare snake and use a PSC powerstation to power them as well as the bias T for the alp650. I haven't used it often, but man, it saved me a few times from bringing the cart up numerous flights of stairs.

For powering, I use a Samlex power supply and the system discussed in this thread with a 72ah battery

The behringer is basically a "mouse" in the way that it interacts with the software. I could use a fader on the behringer to move a fader in the software, or i could use a mouse with the same result. All the actual summing/mixing/routing is within the ULN8. All outputs are like aux and main outs routed to the ULN8 outputs. I monitor mixes and individual tracks off the the box as well

Its similar in use to the machine specific controllers like the CL-8, Mix-12 and Mix 8, and the Cantarem

No issues. I've noticed that the faders i use the most have become slightly less stiff compared to the others. I like it mainly because of its size. Many other controllers are pizza box sized. Plus its rather inexpensive and has held up well. The DC mod Gotham attempted didnt work out so its the only piece of gear on the cart running off an inverter. I've considered using the Mackie Extender Pro for the scribble strips and DC powering. I also keep toying with the idea of switching over to the Euphonix MC Mix. They have their own protocol, EuCon, which is much faster/ higher resolution than Mackie Protocol and it is a DC powered control surface. Still weighing the pros and cons.

There is the other Cooper (JLCooper.com) as well. They make some gorgeous controllers that are modular and programmable (great key mapping), but I've never seen them outside post facilities. I'm fairly sure they take DC power, but I don't know if its 12 volt. I haven't been crawling under editing consoles in a while.

It might be worth a look though.

• 5 months later...

I changed over to a Filmtools vertical senior cart. I added a battery tray and some pins to fly antenna poles at a local aluminum welder.  Also went with the SKB US series roto racks. I still want to clean up the cables in back a bit. I'm considering changing the wheels to a larger diameter in the back so as to get up curbs easier. It would require modifying the cart more. If anyone has done this on a filmtools vertical, please let me know what you're using for wheels.

th_IMG_0998.jpg  th_IMG_1003.jpg  th_IMG_1002.jpg  th_IMG_1005.jpg  th_IMG_1013.jpg

Wow.  No stairs for you.  Seems like a lot of boxes and patch bays.  What exactly is the signal path for you. You are pre amplifying  with the grey and blue box, then splitting the signal.  Can't you send mix to the 744t with the Metric Halo?

I am just finishing my cart and I am a minimalist, so just wondering how your using all the boxes.  Just curious.  Great work, it looks nice!

B

I changed over to a Filmtools vertical senior cart. I added a battery tray and some pins to fly antenna poles at a local aluminum welder.  Also went with the SKB US series roto racks. I still want to clean up the cables in back a bit. I'm considering changing the wheels to a larger diameter in the back so as to get up curbs easier. It would require modifying the cart more. If anyone has done this on a filmtools vertical, please let me know what you're using for wheels.

th_IMG_0998.jpg  th_IMG_1003.jpg  th_IMG_1002.jpg  th_IMG_1005.jpg  th_IMG_1013.jpg

Can I ask how you are transporting your cart?  It seems kind of tall for the door of a regular van etc? Or do you knock it down into rack pieces for travel?

Philip Perkins

Wow.  No stairs for you.  Seems like a lot of boxes and patch bays.  What exactly is the signal path for you. You are pre amplifying  with the grey and blue box, then splitting the signal.  Can't you send mix to the 744t with the Metric Halo?

I am just finishing my cart and I am a minimalist, so just wondering how your using all the boxes.  Just curious.  Great work, it looks nice!

B

Actually, although stairs are a PITA, its not horrible. I take the battery off and from there, if its not a lot of steps, 3 people can manage. Its not heavy, so much as unwieldy. Otherwise, its pretty easy to break it down to the components and rebuild. 1 main power connector from lower rack to middle rack, 1 power connector from middle to top and then the XLRs. Also, the top rack is wireless only that can fly out(or up) to set via a 100' 8 channel snake and then I have additional 50' of rg8 for each antenna. Boom can stay hardlined and plug into one of snake channels and get return(depending on number of wireless).

The patch on the top rack is more convenience then necessary since I haven't had more than 6 wireless going out but I liked the idea of "room to grow" or space for specialty gigs that might require extras. All inputs go to the Metric Halo. The blue box is a RME Octamic to the MH via AES for 16 tracks total. The patch on the middle case is 8 in to MH, 8 in to Octamic and 8 mix bus outs(2 dit, 2 boom ops, comtek, ifb for booms if wireless, 2 extra)

I've been back and forth with the 744t. I used to use Y splitters and get it the first 3 inputs and mix track. This is when I first started using the MH ULN-8 and I wanted to cover my tush. Now( 1.5 years later), i feed it via a balanced send on the MH which are mults of 1-8 post preamp. Basically it gets the boom and the first 3 wireless. I do it in case there is a Boomrecorder abort or computer voodoo. Hmm, maybe i should still feed it a mix track...

Can I ask how you are transporting your cart?  It seems kind of tall for the door of a regular van etc? Or do you knock it down into rack pieces for travel?

Philip Perkins

I break it apart and fit it in a Hyundai Tucson with the seats down. The cart itself lies on it's side. I'm working on my follow now which will also fit in there. Currently i have all the extras in Pelican cases that easily fit.