MixPre-6 MS nightmare

noe

I am trying to setup my mixpre 6 to record discreet ISO tracks for an MS rig (input 1: M, Input 2: S).

Ideally I would like to listen to the decoded MS on my headphones, but still record the discreet tracks (to decode MS later).

I have done this with a 788T in the past but I am somehow not finding a way to do it with the mixpre.

I tried setting up the HP Preset selecting MS, input 1 for the L channel and input 2 for the right channel... Also tried with L in L and R in R (and MS selected). No matter what I select I always hear both sides of the S signal in the same side of my headphones.

How (on earth) does one listen to the MS decoded on this mixer?

I am sure there is a simple way I cannot see right now. I may be tired but I cannot figure it out and can't find a step by step guide anywhere.

Any help would be much much appreciated.

Thanks TVPostSound,

I am using schoeps mk41/mk8. Mk41 to input 1.. Mk8 to input 2.

I have the channels unlinked and have set the HP preset as you suggest.

If I Pan the Input 1 (mid) to the left and input 2 (side) to the right, I hear both microphones on both sides in my headphones. However, I cannot perceive a stereo image created with the side mic. Speaking to either side of the microphone is heard on both sides and the recorder does not seem to distinguish/decode Left&Right signals coming from the mk8.

Is this how it is supposed to be? I am more used to ORTF and spaced omni stereo imaging, which feels very clear on cans.

You have two options; either (as TVPostSounds suggests) just let the HP option do the decode (which was the only way originally with the Mixpres); or, which became possible with a firmware update a couple of years ago, link the channels (i.e. '1-2MS') and then go to Menu>Inputs and where it says 'MS Decode' select 'Mix only'.  ISO will be the M and S channels unmatrixed, and the mix and the HP will be LR. Works really well.

Cheers,

Roland

Good to hear. I must admit I stopped using an MS decode HP preset once the MS decode submenu was added to the inputs back in 2018 (firmware 2.20): I guess if you were using very mismatched mics (in terms of sensitivity) you could adjust the gain if not linked, but when linked using the channel 2 fader knob (width) changes the relatively levels anyway, and, of course, if the MS decode is to the mix only you have the pre-fader M and S channels as isos. It is nicer to be able to change the LR width for the mix/monitoring with a single fader knob using the MS linking.

Cheers,

Roland

Thanks for the detailed note and the reasoning behind your approach, Roland. 

I see what you mean.  It also feels like changing the HP preset requires a lot more fiddling with the menu when switching  back and forth from MS to any other mic configuration.

I am going to go with linking and decoding MS only in the mix. It looks like I can keep my HP in stereo LR and switch faster to the spaced omnis or ORTF if I need to.

*I do need to remember to roll off channel two before switching back to unlinked...

10 hours ago, Throwback said:

You have two options; either (as TVPostSounds suggests) just let the HP option do the decode (which was the only way originally with the Mixpres); or, which became possible with a firmware update a couple of years ago, link the channels (i.e. '1-2MS') and then go to Menu>Inputs and where it says 'MS Decode' select 'Mix only'.  ISO will be the M and S channels unmatrixed, and the mix and the HP will be LR. Works really well.

Cheers,

Roland

Thats how I do it, (option 2) but wasn't sure of the OPs firmware, so I just gave basic settings.