Introducing C.A.T.I. - The Camera Audio & Timecode Input database

We just opened our internal database to the public...C.A.T.I. - the Camera Audio and Timecode Input database. The goal is to be able to crowdsource new cameras that we may not all come across very often, or discover a camera's idiosyncrasies together. Feel free to use for your own personal use and contribute as much or little as you want. We tried to make it extremely easy to use, but feel free to post any suggestions.

2 hours ago, rich said:

nice work.

it may be worth also having the pin outs for the non standard connectors, like the 6 pin Lemo for the Mini LF, as well as the part number of the connector, so its all in one place.

+1

Very important because information like "5 pin Lemo" can be misleading as they have several sizes

We’ve thought about adding pinouts, but have never needed to reference it ourselves yet. It does seem like a good feature though so we’ll probably add that. In general, do you guys prefer diagrams or text pinouts? We’ll support both, but curious what is most utilized and available. 

Cool!  What a wonderful and selfless endeavor - inspiring!  We need this because of how we are expected to know “how to get the sound to work” on these “daily special” cameras.  At one point I’d even learned the actual menu sequences for timecode on one camera, because they kept accidentally resetting it.

That would be the final leg of this - to walk is through the menus.  They’re usually VERY stupid.  THREE separate menus to set the rate, jam, and see the display.  Sometimes four.  I could talk to some 1st ACs and see about filling in that info on whatever camera is on the next job in August.

Pin assignments are cool when I want to make a one-way timecode cable.

5 hours ago, Tyler Faison said:

We’ve thought about adding pinouts, but have never needed to reference it ourselves yet. It does seem like a good feature though so we’ll probably add that. In general, do you guys prefer diagrams or text pinouts? We’ll support both, but curious what is most utilized and available. 

both.

for example...

tc.png

Two possible add-ons: Some cameras have fixed built-in mic holsters, some don't and others might have that as a modular option. Might be cool to include this as a feature. Also, some of the Sony FS/FX cameras can only do external TC with the optional module. Good to have that info too. Not sure which ones anymore.

20 hours ago, BAB414 said:

Tyler are you the one that made the Sound Report Writer App? I'd love to get the app back on my phone.

I am. I took a couple years away from it and actually just a couple months ago brought it back into the app stores. I’ll be working on some updates this year to catch up with some of the new OS out there. If you’ve previously purchased it and need it on a new device, it should be available for download in your local app store. 

21 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

Cool!  What a wonderful and selfless endeavor - inspiring!  We need this because of how we are expected to know “how to get the sound to work” on these “daily special” cameras.  At one point I’d even learned the actual menu sequences for timecode on one camera, because they kept accidentally resetting it.

That would be the final leg of this - to walk is through the menus.  They’re usually VERY stupid.  THREE separate menus to set the rate, jam, and see the display.  Sometimes four.  I could talk to some 1st ACs and see about filling in that info on whatever camera is on the next job in August.

Pin assignments are cool when I want to make a one-way timecode cable.

Oh yeah, that’s definitely a struggle for all sometimes. It wouldn’t hurt to add the a field just for that. But I hear that Matt Price’s app, SoundRolling, has a menu simulator, or something to that effect. I haven’t used it myself but it’s a great resource as well. Good tips! 

27 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

Two possible add-ons: Some cameras have fixed built-in mic holsters, some don't and others might have that as a modular option. Might be cool to include this as a feature. Also, some of the Sony FS/FX cameras can only do external TC with the optional module. Good to have that info too. Not sure which ones anymore.

Haven’t thought about a dedicated section for camera mic stuff, but it’s a good point. I think the notes section is good for the expansion modules like you mention. You’ll see that in Sony FS7 and many RED cameras, for example. We hesitate to add fields upon fields bc we want to keep it as simple and useful as possible. Sometimes those modules clutter it up, but if it’s needed then it makes sense, of course. 

21 hours ago, rich said:

both.

for example...

tc.png

Notes. Thanks!

On 7/2/2022 at 7:18 AM, Fred Salles said:

+1

Very important because information like "5 pin Lemo" can be misleading as they have several sizes

Honestly I had no idea myself that there are different sizes of 5-pin lemo. I don’t make cables myself, so I’ve never had to dive deep into the parts world, but I’ve also never encountered an alternate size of 5-pin Lemo I don’t think. Sounds like something RED would do though 🤣

A couple corrections:

The Sony FS7 only has timecode when using the expansion module.  I don't recall whether this affects audio inputs ... I think it may?
The Panasonic AF100A is RCA timecode input, not BNC (yes, it's weird).  Additionally, it only supports jam sync, not continuous jamming.

Another useful piece of information to track is whether a camera can be continuously jammed from a timecode box ... many of the low end Panasonics don't support this (and their internal clocks are really lousy).

Regarding the FS7, we do have it in the notes that it requires the expansion module. I think that’s a good place for those sort of tidbits. Do you agree?

http://timecode.vandelaysoundexports.com/home/?cam=SONY+FS7&submit=

And yes, good catch on the AF100. It’s designed so that you can “Submit an Edit” if you catch an error or want to add a new note or something. I think it would also be a welcomed addition in the Notes section about jam sync vs continuous jamming. 

EDIT: I see you already submitted an update. It will go through our verification process to ensure accuracy and be published. Thx!

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Tyler Faison
Updated info

I guess that makes sense.  I got confused because I hadn't figured out to click through to the details page, and the RED DSMC2 module was listed separately, so I assumed that was the normal format.  To me, it makes more sense to make "no timecode" the default listing, and note that it can be added with a module in the notes.  I regularly encounter the FS7 being used without the back in doc work.

Great data base.

FYI RED  Mysterium, Mysterium-X, Dragon, Dragon-X, Dragon VV, Gemini, Helium, Monstro, are sensors and not bodies.

The bodies are

RED One

DSMC1 (module based bodies) : Epic M and Epic X, Scarlet

DSMC2 : Weapon, Raven, Ranger, (& Panivision's DXL)

Komodo

DSMC3 : V-Raptor and V-Raptor XL (wich is not yet released)

On 7/5/2022 at 12:58 AM, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

I guess that makes sense.  I got confused because I hadn't figured out to click through to the details page, and the RED DSMC2 module was listed separately, so I assumed that was the normal format.  To me, it makes more sense to make "no timecode" the default listing, and note that it can be added with a module in the notes.  I regularly encounter the FS7 being used without the back in doc work.

But the module was delivered standard with the pack. You rarely encounter a cam without it wich is not the case with other cameras are they are optional. Without a module you can't power your RED camera.

Yes, the RED “cameras” are kinda tough to classify. It definitely needs some clarity there. When we ask production what camera (s) are being used and they tell us a RED Weapon then we have to translate that to its mating body. So do you search “red weapon” or do you search “red DSMC2”? Gotta be prepared for both. Maybe the “red weapon” listing just points to the “dsmc2” listing, of which both currently exist. 

• 11 months later...