linking SD 8-series to 7-series for simutaneous recording?

jimmycat

Was wondering if it's possible to link a 888(as the master) to a 788t for simutaneous recording. My 788t+CL8 is old but still very trusty. It's just that I've found in around 1 out of 4 projects of mine, I need more tracks, so am considering the most flexible option to expand my recorders. Of course I can purchase a used 788t at a cheap price. However, if a 888 can be linked to 788t, why not go for the new 8-series? My another option is Scorpio, but I'm reluctant to do so. Although $2,300 for 8 more channels is quite a bargain, it's not $230. Plus, I don't need so many tracks every day. Any suggestions? 

While I can recommend the Scorpio as a fantastic and flexible recorder, where what you need can be achieved „in-house“, setting to simultaneously record on both the 8-series is very easy. There is more than one  way, but the easiest is to set the 8-series to Auto mute TC (Now it will only output TC when it’s recording), and set the 788 to auto-rec on tc (or similar, it’s been a while). Now the 788 will roll when tc is incoming. 
done

@Constantin Sorry, my question was bad. I think my real question is if it's possible for a 8-series unit to be linked to a 788t the way multiple 788s being "c.linked" together to not only record simultaneously but to share all the other recording functions, like pre-roll and false take, etc. Thanks.

"C -link" died with the 7xx series, I'm sorry to say (I asked SD about this a few times).  Yes, it was VERY handy, and I've done a lot of recording with 2 7xx machines C-Linked together.   Somewhere in the JW archive is a post from a mixer who recorded some shows with 3 788s C Linked together (3 was the max number of machines that could be linked) and it worked out very well.  But there is no similar linking for the SD machines 6xx and onward except via TC and (if the machines have the necessary ports) word clock.  I link a 744T (or 2) with a 664 very frequently: like most but not all later SD recorders the 664 has external clock and TC inputs (which are supplied by the 744).   I think it would be a great idea if SD could figure out something that works like C-Link for the recorders they make now--it really makes a temporary track-count expansion very easy.

• 4 weeks later...